Laptop can't boot

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nikola1337

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017
Hello, my laptop won't boot. It was a bit slower before it broke which could be coming from the same problem. After just being slower it couldn't load into windows (only in safe mode) and now it won't boot at all (i can still get to the repair options through some PXE if i connect w/ an ethernet cable). I tried some command i saw in some other forum like diskpart>list disk but it tells me there are no fixed disks to show. Can anyone please help me?

Solution

if you took it out once, make sure that it's plugged all the way in.

But yeah, if it's clicking, it's probably boned. I would get a new one and try to recover data from the broken one. There might be some 'put your HDD in the freezer ' method of making mechanically broken HDDs work for a little while

kaptainkuftic

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016

uhh, it's a little strange that you were able to get it back to windows with that HDD.

You'll have to look into it, but if you can get a windows repair flash drive, throw that in and try to repair, that could work. Also, if you can get that flash drive, you could potentially run a command prompt and scan the HDD to see if there is any life.

^
Those are more or less just a formality at this point, I personally don't think there is any hope, but I guess it's worth trying

Nikola1337

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017
Can i use a normal win 7 flash drive as a repair one?
Also another thing that may be worth mentioning is that the drive gets pretty hot usually (even way before it was broken) and now that it did manage to boot twice it was cold as I didnt try to mess w/ it in a while, so idk if It could be temperature related?

kaptainkuftic

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016
my guess is that it gets hot because it's right below the touchpad, but drives dont usually get hot unless something is wrong.

I don't know if you can use the windows 7 one, probably not because it's a different GUI. Windows provides repair media for free on their site though (google windows 10 recovery media)

Nikola1337

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017
Ok, i will try it these days since i dont have another computer, and i prob cant get on any pc at uni during the weekend. Btw its bootable again lol, multiple times boots without a problem... but cant get in widows even with safe mode, it stops with amdkmp.pf (not sure if its exactly correct). And just above that is CLASSPNP(which i saw was mentioned alot with similar problems, but i guess it got through it just fine since it froze at the amd one).
Sorry if Im making this issue more complicated then it is, but thanks so much for helping me with it.

kaptainkuftic

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016

Not a problem. If I'm being helpful that's good enough for me.

Unfortunately, though, that's where my expertise runs dry. I would guess that this is a HDD issue, based on the other symptoms. After that, I'm not sure anymore :C