Laptop can't find Wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lv5 Mudkip

Prominent
Jul 26, 2017
For the longest time my laptop (Lenovo U410) hasn't been able to connect to my home wifi, but is able to find and connect to other networks at school and work. A while back, I had an issue with my service provider and I tried fiddling with my laptop (bad idea) and now it cannot find the wifi. The biggest issue is that the wifi is named "linksys" but my laptop will show "linksys 1" or "linksys 4", when those don't really exist nor work. All other devices (phone, desktop, ipad, etc) are able to find the wifi, linksys, and connect with ease. Before all this it was able to connect and work correctly, and I have switched routers, reinstalled drivers to no avail. I don't want to have to go to the library just to update stuff on my laptop, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Try this....

1. Go to "Control Panel".

2. Next go to "Network and Internet" and then "Network and Sharing".

3. Now click on "Manage Wireless Networks".

4. On this screen, remove all wireless connections by "right clicking" on it and select "Remove network" from the drop down menu.

5. After doing this, close the open windows and reboot the computer.

6. Once the computer is fully reloaded, scan for the "Wi-Fi networks".

7. Click on the available network that you want to access and select "connect".

8. It takes a moment, but then you will be asked to give a password for your Wi-Fi connection. Type in the password and click the "connect" button.

It should now be connected.

NOTE: If this doesn't work, you may want to reset your modem/router, and then once it is fully loaded again, repeat the above steps.

If this doesn't work, test seeing if your laptop will connect via Ethernet. If so, then your WiFi card may be going. You can either look to replace it/have it replaced, or get an external (plugs in via USB) WiFi card.

Apr 5, 2018

same issue. my phone is connected, so i have a viable wifi signal.
i have rebooted modem, and my laptop can find other networks, and connect to wifi at other people’s homes. wifi card is fine. i can’t figure out a work around. my taxes would be done by now:(

Jun 1, 2018
I tried forgetting my home wifi network from the Network and Sharing Center and I got stuck in the same problem until I was able to solve it by logging into the router settings from my laptop and clearing the device list on the router. Once I did it, my lenovo was able to see and connect to my home wifi network again.
Let me know if this works for you!

Sep 21, 2018
If your laptop is not responding to the above solutions, try this one.

These are two options :

1. You either Re-install the windows. there is probably a reason that you have tried to play with the MAC Filtering on your Router, i am not sure how to solve that, so the option is to Re-install the windows.

2. Other option is very simple, every Router has an option of Secondary SSID, go ahead and create a Secondary SSID and connect you laptop thru that(Worked like a Charm for me).

Keep me posted which option you liked better.

Thanks,
Garry

connect with me [don't post your email address on the forum]

Sep 30, 2018
I just encountered this same issue with one of my Win 10 Pro(1803) laptops. My fix was in my wifi router to set WPA2 encryption from Automatic to AES and channel select to Auto which was on fixed chan 12. Hope that helps someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.