Laptop can't reinstall Win7. Is it a broken HDD?

Hokyjack

Estimable
Aug 10, 2014
Hello, my friend gave me her laptop (ACER Extensa 5635ZG). She said it was slow, maybe virused and asked me to reinstall the OS (Win 7 Home Premium 64). Booting was a bit longer but the system was OK at a first look. I backed up the data and started reinstalling. I had tried loading factory from hidden partition but it ended up with some error (sorry cant remember) so then I ereased all partitions make a new one, formated, and tried to install the clean OS. The installation procces took quite a long time between each steps (laggy) and when it almost installed and was "Preparing desktop for first use" I got some explorer.exe stopped working etc...

So i tried to reinstall it again but now I couldnt create a new partition of HDD same with triyng diskpart. I then tried use LIVE CD Parted magic disk healt which told me the disk has SMART error while reading, and also tried HDAT2 to fix bad sectors but it kept giving me error after error and after about one hour i stopped it because i didn't know how long it was going to take and if it helps.

IMG_20150125_112941.jpg

What log should I give here to decide if it really is a HDD problem? I would buy a new one, but I would be really lost if it still wouldnt work.

Thank you in advance

Solution
All of the symptoms described tend to point at a faulty drive. Try downloading and burning a Seagate Seatools for DOS boot disk. The instructions are on the download page and it will work with any brand hard drive. When you boot it up, run all of the tests (the long tests will take a while). If any of the tests fail, you'll want to start shopping for a new drive.

volcanoscout

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
All of the symptoms described tend to point at a faulty drive. Try downloading and burning a Seagate Seatools for DOS boot disk. The instructions are on the download page and it will work with any brand hard drive. When you boot it up, run all of the tests (the long tests will take a while). If any of the tests fail, you'll want to start shopping for a new drive.

Solution