Question Laptop Conservation Mode

Nov 15, 2021
Hello, i had one question. If i let "Conservation Mode" alawys on and plugged in while gaming and after unplugged and for example i start to watch a move or use it for school, i don't know, but principal idea is i use it with conservation mode on and unplugged.This will downgrade battery life?or something?. My laptop is IdeaPad Gaming 3 15ACH6 with Ryzen 5 5600H and GTX 1650 and sorry for bad english.

BEAUFORD_SAVAGE

Respectable
Sep 6, 2020
Oh, I think I got it now after re-reading it a couple times.

How much power is drained from your battery will completely depends on what settings you have set for your computers power saving mode.
The battery will lose some of it's life if it is allowed to get too low before recharging.
Batterys last longest when they are kept at full charge, and not letting them discharge too far.

mrmike16

Honorable
Oh, I think I got it now after re-reading it a couple times.

How much power is drained from your battery will completely depends on what settings you have set for your computers power saving mode.
The battery will lose some of it's life if it is allowed to get too low before recharging.
Batterys last longest when they are kept at full charge, and not letting them discharge too far.
I usually agree with your answers, but not this one. I have seen many recommendations on how to maintain your battery's capacity, but I've never seen anyone say to keep it fully charged. In fact, my Surface 3 at the moment, which is almost always docked because of the small screen size, is set on Microsoft's Kiosk Mode, which doesn't let the battery fully charge. It keeps it at about 20-50 percent at all times when plugged in.
Here's an example of what many other articles say - 4 Simple Tips to Keep Your Laptop Battery Healthy — Omega Computer Services (ocs.help)
I do agree with the part that letting it get too low will affect its capacity.

In other words, keep it more or less in the middle. Not too high, not too low.

@Kesake , to answer your question: If Conservative Mode does in fact mean Battery Saver mode, then no, it does not harm your battery. On the contrary, it helps prevent battery capacity loss because it results in less charge cycles due to using less power.

BEAUFORD_SAVAGE

Respectable
Sep 6, 2020
I usually agree with your answers, but not this one. I have seen many recommendations on how to maintain your battery's capacity, but I've never seen anyone say to keep it fully charged. In fact, my Surface 3 at the moment, which is almost always docked because of the small screen size, is set on Microsoft's Kiosk Mode, which doesn't let the battery fully charge. It keeps it at about 20-50 percent at all times when plugged in.
Here's an example of what many other articles say - 4 Simple Tips to Keep Your Laptop Battery Healthy — Omega Computer Services (ocs.help)
I do agree with the part that letting it get too low will affect its capacity.

In other words, keep it more or less in the middle. Not too high, not too low.

@Kesake , to answer your question: If Conservative Mode does in fact mean Battery Saver mode, then no, it does not harm your battery. On the contrary, it helps prevent battery capacity loss because it results in less charge cycles due to using less power.
This really depends on the battery chemistry, for one thing, but why is it my fully charged battery's have lasted several years? Fully charged, but NOT always charging. Big difference.
We do agree on more than we disagree on this, for instance we both know the # of charge cycles (keeping them low) is i key to long life. as well as letting them drain to nothing has a tendency to really take it's toll. But I am surprised, not doubting you about the 20-50% charge. Just seems low to me. 50% seems reasonable, 20% not so much, I'd have to research or test for myself on the number. But I can admit when I'm wrong.

Reactions: mrmike16

mrmike16

Honorable
This really depends on the battery chemistry, for one thing, but why is it my fully charged battery's have lasted several years? Fully charged, but NOT always charging. Big difference.
We do agree on more than we disagree on this, for instance we both know the # of charge cycles (keeping them low) is i key to long life. as well as letting them drain to nothing has a tendency to really take it's toll. But I am surprised, not doubting you about the 20-50% charge. Just seems low to me. 50% seems reasonable, 20% not so much, I'd have to research or test for myself on the number. But I can admit when I'm wrong.
You're right, I think it is more like 30-50 or even 40-50. I'll have to check on that.
I don't know if keeping it at 100% is good or not. I feel like since it is constantly going down to 99% and recharging to 100, it may be using more cycles. Or it may not, from your post. I have no idea. But I do apologize, I understood it as constantly charging (and when it isn't, the charger's electricity does have to go somewhere doesn't it?) Some older Lithium Ion batteries are just made better- I have a GameBoy Advance SP and a digital camera that sat for years after much use and still have decent battery life.

Nov 15, 2021
Sorry because i dont give a explanation, " Conservation Mode" is a setting from Lenovo Ventage App what limit battery capacity to 60%, and dont let she charge up more that 60".