Laptop constant crashing when playing games (don't know what category this post belongs in)

frohty

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
So this has been a problem for a year now...

I have bought a laptop last year to play games and do work, it's a Dell Inspiron 5559 and whenever a game that isn't minecraft (for some reason) will shut down the computer < 5 minutes into the session. I thought it was because of directx so I reinstalled that and nothing changed. Games that I've tried to play and have crashed are TF2, League of Legends, CsGo, Warframe, Star Conflict etc.

Specs:
Radeon Software Version - 17.12.1
Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 8 GB
CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz
(COPIED FROM AMD RADEON SOFTWARE)

Oh and first timer posting on this forum so don't pitchfork me about the incorrect category :p

AniChatt

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Ok. Is it getting hot while you game? The side portion of the laptop and can you feel hot air is coming out or fan is moving fast/loud? Install a onscreen monitoring software and turn on on screen display to check temp of cpu and gpu while you game. MSI Afterburner will work fine for you. Then post what temp you are getting before a shutdown. Google it how to do.
I hope this is new problem. If it is high temp then blow the vents of your laptop with air to clean the dust. most of the time it works fine. However post your findings first.

frohty

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017

Hey friend, so I downloaded msi afterburner and I tested the temperatures (only did 1 test because its about to be 2AM and I need some sleep), the results were surprising and I'm not sure if this is normal.

Game: Warframe
Startup Temp: 58 degrees
Loading screen: 84, 91, 95 degrees
In game/menu: 99, 100, 106 degrees
(sort of ingame because the menu is movement interactive)
Crashed at that point

This is all ran without any other software open like discord, skype, chrome. My little brother plays minecraft (often having 2 clients open at once idk why,) skype, discord and chrome open all at once but no crashing even whilst hearing the fan spin like it would normally for hours.

Edit: A couple of weeks ago I've used a handheld mini vacuum cleaner and sucked the fan opening and the sides, all openings in case for dust, and the desk is usually clean most of the time.

AniChatt

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013

I don't want to scare you but this is extremely high and your laptop is shutting down due to insane temp. Can you hear any fan noise like it is spinning really fast and hot air is coming out of the vent of our laptop? now,
1. Fan is spinning and you can hear it but you can not feel good amount of air coming out of the vent. In that case you have a dusty heat spreader. Blow air through the vent of the laptop to remove accumulated dust.
2. You can not hear fan spin or the fan spinning really low> In that case it will be better to go to service center and they will check the thermal performance for you. Don't try to open the laptop heat spreader if you don't know how to. You may damage the hardware.
Provide update on these two points. I think point 1 will solve your issue. If you don't have a blower better to use a pressurized air bottle (u can buy it from any online/PC hardware store) to throw some speedy air on those vents. Experts recommend pressurized air instead of blower i think may be due to static current or something. Again I am repeating don't try to experiment on your own if you don't have proper understanding of hardware.

frohty

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
TLDR clearing dust did not solve the problem

Hi there, me again. I went to my dad's factory where he had an air blower (one of those similar to a compressed air cans but for woodworks) and blew every opening that there were clearing some dust. I did another test today with the same game Warframe, and had a similar result with the temperature exceeding 100 by 5-6 degrees. Are there other ways that is causing the overheat problem? Not enough thermal paste? (idk what it does just thought it would make sense).

Observations:
Fan was spinning and is audible.
The air being dispersed by the fan do not feel warm or hot, or around room temperature.
Temperature of the machine continuously exceeding 100 degrees.

EDIT: Minecraft runs on openGL and I was wondering if that was the case, this is what it said for the build version
OpenGL: 4.4.0 - Build 21.20.16.4590, Intel, Intel(R) HD Graphics 520
I'm beginning to wonder if DirectX is causing the problems. Also starting to believe that the stereotypical overheating radeon graphics cards are true.

On MSI's Afterburner the graphics card slot it shows I can change to check 2 different GPU's
Intel, Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 and AMD Radeon (TM) R5 M335, is it normal to have two different GPUs?

AniChatt

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013

OK yes most of the recent laptops has switchable GPU. The other way to check it out is open your laptop heat sink. Remove the old thermal paste > clean the CPU/GPU surface with isopropyle alcohol and apply new thermal paste > install the heat sink again.
But I will not recommend you to do this. Go to service center and let them diagnose this issue. Laptop is way more fragile. But if you know some one having good experience and your laptop is not in warranty then it is worthy to do it on your own. It is not that difficult.
Why the air coming out of the vent is not hot? This is really strange. Do you have two different fans to cool CPU and GPU with two different vents? Just tell me the model of your laptop and make.

frohty

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017

Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to go to a pc service centre after they re-open after the holidays. As for the air, perhaps its because the air inside the laptop hasn't changed since it just shuts down so quickly, but what do I know.