[LAPTOP COOLING] What's the best and cheapest way to cool a laptop dramatically?

sas28ke

Estimable
Nov 19, 2014
Hi Folks,

I'm searching on how can I cool my laptop dramatically without spending too much bucks.

Thanks!

Solution
If a laptop is well ventilated & cooling is working as intended (no dust/dried thermal paste etc) an cooling pad wont help much, more like 1-3c.

But i would still say that a cooling pad is a must-have for a laptop, for example you can keep it on your bed/lap without "suffocating" & overheating it.

If your laptop has a dust-filter, remove it.
I'm myself an Y510P owner, and removing the dust filter dropped my gpu #1&2 temperatures by ~8c and cpu by ~5c.

And try to undervolt the cpu, it helps by few degrees.

Your welcome. :)

P.S. There isnt really a cheap way to cool a laptop dramatically, but these should help a bit.

BrandonYoung

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014
Other than turning it off?

You could clean it out, dust buildups are really bad for keeping a laptop cool.

You could get a "laptop cooling pad". One of those dual fan usb powered things you set your laptop on. The one I had for my cheap laptop worked great, and really was the only way I could play games on it without it throttling.

chromic

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
If a laptop is well ventilated & cooling is working as intended (no dust/dried thermal paste etc) an cooling pad wont help much, more like 1-3c.

But i would still say that a cooling pad is a must-have for a laptop, for example you can keep it on your bed/lap without "suffocating" & overheating it.

If your laptop has a dust-filter, remove it.
I'm myself an Y510P owner, and removing the dust filter dropped my gpu #1&2 temperatures by ~8c and cpu by ~5c.

And try to undervolt the cpu, it helps by few degrees.

Your welcome. :)

P.S. There isnt really a cheap way to cool a laptop dramatically, but these should help a bit.

Solution

chromic

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
Rockie_

I7-4700MQ running @ 2.4ghz auto throttles from 3.x Ghz when gpu#1 reaches 65c -.- (Max is 3.6ghz)

GT755M SLI @ stock 1097/1350 clocks

unigine heaven 4.0
Cpu ~70c

Gpu#1 ~77c
Gpu#2 ~82c

High/max performance of course :D
(With the dust filter on, temperatures were :
Cpu ~75c
Gpu#1 ~85c
Gpu#2~93c

Edit: I'm using an cheap ~15$ cooling pad with 2x 100/90mm fans & have replaced the ultrabay (755M #2) thermal paste, would do the #1 & CPU too, but dont want to dismantle the whole laptop & void my warranty

BrandonYoung

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014
If temps are causing your GPU to throttle, your not getting "max performance". Downclocking/undervolting really may increase your performance on average if you are running into throttling.

Just be sure before dropping into your washing machine that you set it to the gentle wash cycle. When you put it into the dryer make sure you put set it to low heat and allow it to tumble dry for around 2 hours.

That last thing you want to do is damage your laptop when you are cleaning it.

:)

Bryan James

Estimable
Apr 19, 2015
Hello, hope you read this. I own a dell xps 13 ultra-book. It went into super hot mode after a year. I have numerous medical problems including major joint swelling due to kidney failure so I use the large Ice/Heat packs that go into fabric slips and Velcro to wrap around your back etc.

BUT for me that's not cold enough so I remove the ICE Pack from the slip and place it directly on my body.

It turns out that this is the exact size of the bottom of the lap top. So I tried placing my laptop directly on the ice pack and it works PERFECTLY. I move the pack where heat is, I downloaded the program to check the temperature of my internal systems (REAL TEMP GT 3.70) I Use the pack every time I use the laptop. I have 3 of these large Ice packs, they cost about 20 dollars at CVS pharmacy. I can rotate them as they loose their cool and put them pack in the freezer, I can run the laptop indefinitely and the temp stays in a manageable range. I've had no problem with condensation or wetness. If you can't stand the ice pack on your leg (maybe you use it on a table) just put a towel between YOU and the Ice pack, but nothing between the Ice pack and the laptop. I guess you could use some sort of thin plastic or something that doesn't leak moisture like a cat/dog pee pad that is made out of a thin material and the cold should pass through easy. But this is cheaper than the "professionally made cooling units and much better.