Laptop cycling the ASUS logo

willh7

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016
So I tried to reset my laptop from when I got home, cause my laptop had been running slow for a bit, so I was just like whatever. As I pick the reset my PC option, and let it do its thing, about an hour or so later I get this blue screen, "Windows wasn't able to reset your PC" or something along those lines. There were 4 options on the screen, can't exactly remember them all, but I do remember picking the one to just shut it down for that time being, as I was like whatever.
Couple hours later I'm sitting here remembering I have something to do for school tomorrow so I turn my laptop on to finish this assignment. Here's the problem..
It won't even start. As I'm sitting in front of it typing this right now, it is just cycling thru the ASUS logo, and making that small buzz sound I'm guessing to indicate that it's on.
I never intended to keep this laptop for long, but I needed something for school and other things, so I'd appreciate some help.

Solution
Try the following and see if it resolves the problem/gets you past it...

1. In the Aptio Setup Utility, select the "boot" menu and then select "Launch CSM" and change it to "enable".

2. Next select the "Security" menu and then select "secure Boot Control" and change to "disable".

3. Now select "Save & Exit" and press "yes".

4. Once you have done this, hold down the "power" button until the laptop turns off completely.

5. Now you want to power it back on and continually press the "F9" button for about ten seconds or until you are taken to the "Windows Recovery Menu".

6. In here select "Advanced Start Up" and then, once the recovery menu appears, select "Advance Options".

7. Choose "System Restore" and select a date prior to when...
Try rebooting in "Safe Mode" and see if it will let the system load.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10 ...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

Supercilious

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
Hello there,

Also has this issue, I bought a new Hard Drive (30 USD) plugged it in & reinstalled windows myself.
If webworkings' idea doesn't work, you might want to try this.
It was a cheap fix for me, thought it'd cost a lot more, good luck!

They meant pulling the hard drive you have and then replacing it with a new one. However if the current one isn't actually damaged, then there really isn't a reason to replace it. You can reinstall Windows from scratch, but that can be a pain. You can also try using the restore option, to set back to a date prior to the changes you have made.

willh7

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

But I can't do that. I seemingly can't do anything. Once I hit the power button, and I see the ASUS logo, goes back screen for a few seconds, then back to the ASUS logo. Not sure if this laptop is 'save able' from what I've apparently done to it.

willh7

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

No sir, I bought it with Windows 8, then upgraded to Windows 10 when it was out and free, all digitally.

That may be where the problem is from then. I have run into a lot of people who have problems when they try to reset the laptop after they have upgraded to 10. The only way around it is to do a clean install of the software.

Here are links to al where you can get 7, 8.1 and 10. If you can download them onto a CD/DVD or USB, then you should be able to resolve the problem.

Windows 7 ... https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

Windows 8.1 ... https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

Windows 10 ... https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

willh7

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

Alright so since I somewhat consider myself a gamer, and I plan not to keep this laptop for long, which Windows should I get? I would assume Windows 7?

I can't answer that one for you. Since the computer came with 8 you might want to start there. Me I can't stand 8 or 10, so I am sticking with 7 until they come up with something better and more stable (and they give the option to choose what you update back).

I am not sure if 7 will run on yours or allow the install, if you started with 8, but if you want to try it you can.

willh7

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016
Alright, I see when I can get Windows 8 on a USB from some other laptop or whatever and come back if it solves it or more questions pop up. Thanks

willh7

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

So, how exactly would I get another version of Windows 8.1, which is what my laptop started with in the first place? Since I don't plan to keep it for long, or even if I was to I do not want to pay for it, and it's risky to even attempt to try with those torrent sites. So is there any other possible way I could get it for free just so I have a working laptop of my own with no catch to downloading the OS?

When you get windows through legitimate means your windows is registered. Usually when you first use the computer. It also will come with paperwork showing the information. In the case of a desktop it is often now attached to the desktop itself.

You are looking for a "Product Key", "License Key" or "Proof of Ownership".

You can try removing the battery and look there, behind where it goes. It is often put there.