Laptop damaged severely what should i do?

Frank_48

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
Hi,

Today someone spilled yoghurt drink in my bag. My bag contained my only laptop, my Dell E6540, i am in college and i need this daily.

I compiled some pictures on imgur here http://imgur.com/a/eiO5A . Be warned as it is not for the faint of heart people.

I need to know a few things:

What should i do now as the pictures show i removed my hard drives, wifi chip, memory and CD drive. Should i fully dismantle the laptop now as it is drying in quickly. The stuff is over everything, literally everything and i don't know if i will be able to clean it.

If i can clean it what approach should i take. I am not insured so if i could save it that would be the best of options. I donot have 2k cash right now to buy a new one.

My M.2 SSD will probably be fine. I wonder for the Harddisk i should check if the insides are covered in the stuff. If so i highly doubt it can be saved. I don't know if opening it would destry it instantly. Are harddrives sealed so nothing can get in or out?

I also got goo on the laser of my mouse (G700s) and not sure how to clean that either.

USB ports of PC are full of the **** also. Just as HDMI VGA etc etc.

I am in a pretty bad mood right now of this happening.

Please assist me in anyway you can Thanks,

Frank

EDIT: Someone just noticed that there is green corrosion happening on certain connectors i fear this is the end fml

Solution
Without access to (relatively) pure alcohol, no time you can physically spend cleaning it up at the moment and some corrosion already appearing.......it sounds like you're fighting a losing battle.

Try to salvage whatever you can, with what you have on hand. Ultimately, you might do some damage, but leaving it without attempting anything will damage it even worse.

Honestly, even some water at this stage would be better than nothing. Provided you don't pass any electricity through anything (including simply attaching the battery!) until it's fully dry (fully, fully - think a week to be safe), would be ok.

Do you have access to nailpolish remover? It's not ideal, but it'll work in a pinch - you're really just playing damage...

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
The person who spilled it should be responsible to be honest. If i spilled yogurt on someones shirt i would certainly have it dry cleaned, and if i hit their car, my insurance would certainly cover it.

Anyway, it sounds pretty bad man. Yogurt is corrosive, as it is a base, i don't think this poses well for you.
You should be able to save data, but jesus, going about ridding a PC of yogurt is going to be an utter nightmare.

Don't open the HDD! they are very much sealed.

I would spot clean everything with a rag, not using any cleaners or anything, and use a Q tip.

I don't imagine yogurt is going to cause a short, but like i said it is corrosive which will cause your parts to oxidize.

Ok, I assume you didn't try to power this on? Hopefully a stupid question, but I just want to make sure.

Personally, I'd disassemble even further (removing fans etc) and get access to as many components as you can.
From there, I'd lightly use some rubbing alcohol on an anti-static cloth (on everything other than the front of the display) to remove as much residue as possible. The alcohol isn't going to damage the components or case.

After you've cleaned as much residue as you can (hopefully everything you can see), leave it to dry out for a couple of days to a week infront of a fan (really, as long as you can hold out - you ain't using this laptop tomorrow, that's for sure!).

After a day or two, give it another look over - remove any further residue you can see.

After that, it's re-assemble all the components & attempt to power on and hope for the best.

Honestly, if you clean up to residue quickly, the motherboard etc will likely be ok, but if anything is inaccessible & left with residue, it'll likely lead to corrosion sooner or later
My next biggest concern here is the screen - if you can't get in behind to clean there, that's where the problems are most likely to arise quickly

I did see a couple of videos (I think it was Linus actually) with Dell laptops that had been left out in the rain and survived.
Unfortunately, yoghurt isn't quite the same thing & has other, potentially problematic issues with it - being corrosive (and it's sticky!).

Good luck!

bjornl

Estimable
Your laptop can "probably" be saved. But it is not for the faint of heart. You need to quickly take it completely apart and wash every part. isopropyl alcohol is best. Some pieces can be run through a dish washer on gentle and low heat. Obviously don't wash anything with moving parts.

You won't be able to do this unless you have the technical skill to completely disassemble a laptop. If you can't do that, then check what a local shop will charge you to do it.
I agree with greens that whoever did this should do the right thing and take responsibility for it.

Frank_48

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016

Please note that my fellow college students did this. I went to get some coffee. Get back all faces red. Package of yoghurt upside down in my bag. Of course they didnt say how it happened and most important who is responsible. Besides from students which are basically broke there is nothing to collect.

On the oxidizing part. It's taking a turn for the worse. My SSD looks like it oxidized and its an M.2 SSD. My desktop does not have a M.2 slot so i cant backup my data which is obviously so unbelievably frustrating. There are cables that have oxidized which would probably need replacing but i dont have to skills to solder new wires. I am a graphics programmer not an electricien. Stores are closed now (i live in holland) also pure alcohol being hard to comeby.

Frank_48

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016

FML stores are closed and pure alcohol is hard to comeby. I know basic hardware so ofc i did not turn it on. this sucks so hard i won't be able to clean out the laptop now as i cannot take it apart right now. I start feeling worse and worse but it is only a laptop not the end of the world. Guess ill just keep breathing.

Frank_48

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016

I guess you read my other comments. Sucks to be me right now :/

Without access to (relatively) pure alcohol, no time you can physically spend cleaning it up at the moment and some corrosion already appearing.......it sounds like you're fighting a losing battle.

Try to salvage whatever you can, with what you have on hand. Ultimately, you might do some damage, but leaving it without attempting anything will damage it even worse.

Honestly, even some water at this stage would be better than nothing. Provided you don't pass any electricity through anything (including simply attaching the battery!) until it's fully dry (fully, fully - think a week to be safe), would be ok.

Do you have access to nailpolish remover? It's not ideal, but it'll work in a pinch - you're really just playing damage control here. An old toothbrush will help you access certain spots and won't damage anything, and a microfibre cloth will help a great deal.

Solution