Question Laptop dead no lights no charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

asda333

Honorable
Mar 1, 2015
Hi guys

I have a laptop I have been using for a while with no problems and all of a sudden it won't turn on and no lights and when I connect ac charger no lights to show charger connected.

I tried discharging by removing battery and charger and pressing power for 30 to 50 seconds then placing charger back and pressing power no power no lights.

I tested charger with meter it shows correct voltage.

I tested ac jack from the socket to the cable socket that connects to motherboard and motherboard was receiving power. There was a moment where when testing the ac jack port on the mother board causing bright spark but luckily no smoke and no damage as motherboard still receiving power.

I checked the smaller ports that connect to extension boards like power button board and speaker and they were receiving power but when I took the fan cable out and tested the socket pins there was no voltage drop and no power as there was no voltage drop across the resistor for each pin. So I'm thinking that maybe because there is no power at the fan socket that is the reason it's not working. Why it is not receiving power is a mystery. I also checked the fuse near the ac jack port on the motherboard and it was intact and was showing closed connection.

I don't know what to do now or what further tests to do.

Would appreciate your help.

Laptop is s Toshiba Satellite Pro C70-B-14Z.

Thanks.

Reactions: inooodevils
Hi guys

I have a laptop I have been using for a while with no problems and all of a sudden it won't turn on and no lights and when I connect ac charger no lights to show charger connected.

I tried discharging by removing battery and charger and pressing power for 30 to 50 seconds then placing charger back and pressing power no power no lights.
.... snip...

Laptop is s Toshiba Satellite Pro C70-B-14Z.

Thanks.

In addition to the main battery, remove the CMOS battery, hold in the power button for 30 seconds again. Without putting the batteries back plug into wall power and see if it turns on. Also remove the RAM from the system and try to turn it on. If you don't get error beeps or codes relating to RAM missing chances are good the motherboard is bad.

asda333

Honorable
Mar 1, 2015
Hi

I tried what you said by removing cmos. Press and hold power button for 30 secs even with laptop battery out and put charger back but not cmos and nothing. Dead. Removed ram and still dead. I checked battery terminals and it was receiving 3.28V while plugged in.

asda333

Honorable
Mar 1, 2015
I'm back and I changed my motherboard

The laptop charging light turns on when I plug in the adaptor but when I press the power button it doesn't turn on.

I tried the discharge method holding power button with battery out and cmos battery out for 30 seconds and then placing it back but not battery and still doesn't turn on.

I placed the old battery and still the same problem of not turning on.

Do i have to do something after replacing the motherboard.

The motherboards are the same even the fan and the pipes and the interface.

asda333

Honorable
Mar 1, 2015
So, I managed to turn on the computer. I think it must have been the cmos clearing thing I did.

I opened the laptop and took out the cmos and ram for overnight and placed it back with it open and when I turned it on the lights didn't turn on to indicate the laptop was on but probably it was on as when I removed everything and tried again same thing happened but when I heard a beep before I removed power.

I turned it on and saw there was display and laptop was on even though fan was off and no light to indicate laptop was on.

But now after resetting the bios date and time, the computer is not booting to an operating system.

It loads at the logo then says ran into a problem and needs to restart.

after restart, it starts automatic repair and then see a message diagnosing your pc.

After it says Windows couldn't load correctly and try system restore, which if I click restore it is stuck on boot screen with logo for ever.

asda333

Honorable
Mar 1, 2015
I am stuck in a loop.

With the bios in uefi mode, I get bsod and when I go to commands prompt to try and repair and try bootrec fix options it says 0 installations found then after trying disk part and make primary partition active but it says it can't make it active as it is not an mbr disk.

So I can fix it by going to bios and change settings to csm boot mode but i get error pxe and then exits pxe rom and then it says no bootable device found -- please insert disk.

And how do we fix this?

change boot mode to uefi and we are back at the start of this problem.

asda333

Honorable
Mar 1, 2015
That's kinda what I had to do. I performed a 'refresh my PC' using the windows recovery environment. it was painful to have all those apps deleted.

But that fixed it. I also used driverpack solutions once I got it running to update drivers.

asda333

Honorable
Mar 1, 2015
I have downloaded windows 10 and installed all the drivers and now the audio is distorted.

I uninstalled and reinstalled drivers and still the problem persists.

after going to the speaker properties to balance the left and right, the right speaker is nice and smooth while the left one is distorted and really unpleasant.

disabling enhancements did not work either.

asda333

Honorable
Mar 1, 2015
Uninstall the drivers and install from the laptop vendor site.

I did that in the end. But the audio issues are still there.

Also the laptop vendor site had a program called windows 10 upgrade drivers, but the link is dead and they don't have a lot of drivers for windows 10 x64 upgrade or windows 10 x64 so there were some drivers I couldn't download.

Should I uninstall all drivers again and install the drivers from the website that are for windows 8.1 if they don't have it for windows 10.

asda333

Honorable
Mar 1, 2015
So i'm gonna reset pc keeping personal files and reinstall drivers only from the laptop site, which is only 12 for windows 10 x64. Hopefully sound is fixed else I might have to buy another speaker. Right speaker is soo smooth. Left is making that sound as if you are talking straight into the microphone rather than from a distance. But more sharp.

asda333

Honorable
Mar 1, 2015
I did everything from disabling audio enhancements, installing drivers from OEM laptop website, refreshed windows 10 and still the audio is distorted, it's that type of distortion when you speak very close to a mic and the sound comes out scratchy and distorted. But it's only the left side.

asda333

Honorable
Mar 1, 2015
I probably have to do a fresh clean install of windows 10, I doubt that will fix it, I think it's a windows 10 problem. Another laptop with windows 10 has that problem crop up.

Status
Not open for further replies.