laptop death and recovery

kurtos

Estimable
Jan 31, 2016
I've got a sony vaio that has been overheating pretty bad in that i cant have it on my lap. This has been going on for a few months. Havent gotten around ti taking it apart and ckeaning dust out as i gave in the past.

So i did a hard reset as it was getting very biged down like i do quite a lot.

It will not boot up now, meaning power light comes on, fan spins, can hear hard drive spin. Just black screen. No updates, hardware, etc installed.

Took hard drive out and out it in a known working laptop. Wont let me start windws normally as it flashes a blue screen very fast and then takes me back to the windows error ecovery menu. Only other option is startup repair. Comes back failed with lots of error codes like Auto fail over and bad driver.

Is this due to being on a different computer? Was going to get a USB to sata cable to recover my files. Think this will work or is my drive damaged?

Thanks a bunch!

kurtos

Estimable
Jan 31, 2016

I kinda figured that but wasn't sure. Is there a way to run programs from that drive? I need to run outlook and do a email backup for instance? thanks

kurtos

Estimable
Jan 31, 2016

I think it's outlook express? Office 2010, Windows 7

kurtos

Estimable
Jan 31, 2016

Could be, i just use it. I don't pay too much attention to what version of something is.

ffg7

Splendid
go into her user account & look for appdata\local\Microsoft\office or outlook. look the outlook file that might be a few hundred megs in size. will have to unhide the appdata to do that. copy that outlook file onto an usb stick & import it thru the working outlook.