Laptop Dies Within A Minute Unplugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

th3knights

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Model: Asus R704A
Issue: Dies anywhere from Seconds to 1 minute after being unplugged

I had bought a Laptop on Ebay a few days ago, and hadn't really tried it out unplugged when I received it. Anyway, I tried a few days ago and it died within seconds. I thought it was nothing so I turned it back on (Turned back on unplugged) and it lasted for a few seconds before dying again. The computer shows the battery being fully charged, as I watched the battery percentage slowly reach 100, but seconds after unplugging, it dies.. Sounds like a battery issue right? I order a replacement battery (One that had more mah so it would last longer) and it did the exact same thing. And I'm fairly certain most if not all new batteries are sent with 50% charge. I even tried letting it charge with the laptop turned off, and once it became full, I unplugged it and turned it on.. Dying after about 10 seconds.. Any ideas? I checked with CPUID HWMonitor and the voltage is around 12V for both batteries. Thanks!

Scibbo

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
I gather the laptop you bought is used.
In saying that the Ebay user you have bought it from has burnt the life out of the battery cell life through High temperature loads while gaming.
Only solution is to buy a new battery.

th3knights

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Update: I removed the stick of ram I added and that seems to have fixed the issue. I'm going to test the ram in another Laptop when I get the chance to see if the result differ. If any thoughts as to how I could use the ram without it dying would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.