Laptop display blinking/horizontal half blink when laptop is charging

ridwanrahmatf

Estimable
Jul 15, 2018
I have this problem when i play video/play games on my laptop while charging, sometimes screen display is blinking. IT HAPPENED ONLY WHEN ITS CHARGING OR PLUGGED IN,
this is what i did
1. Tried Updating gpu drivers or rolling back
2. AV is not the problem
3. I try to change resolution and the refresh rate it only available on 60hz
when its charging and just run some application it doesnt show the blinking. so it happened only when playing video and games.
My Laptop is
MSI GL63 8RC
PROC INTEL I5 COFFEELAKE (up to 3.9 GHZ)
GPU Intel HD Graphics 630 + NVidia GTX1050 4GB
Ram 8GB

ridwanrahmatf

Estimable
Jul 15, 2018
CPU goes 60-70 and GPU around 50 after applying new thermal paste but the issue still persist, the issue occured when doing some heavy load like playing video, games, g. chrome, can it be because of the supply adapter, "ground" is not good or something? if its from display socket problem then its not happening when on battery

ridwanrahmatf

Estimable
Jul 15, 2018
Apparently its thermal paste problem which causing this to happen, i put too much paste on vga chip which covers some capasitors around them. i reapply thermal paste just on the surface of the chip. and it worked like a charm. no more blinking or flickering happening.

Hmm, that´s strange. This one shouldn´t be conductive. Maybe it was a flex connection problem, which you solved by disassembling and reassembling. But because it´s working now, doesn´t matter that much :)

Next time reapplying thermal paste you should consider Arctic MX-2 or better MX-4. These should be better than the MasterGel to a similar cheap price.
https://www.hwcooling.net/en/the-test-of-27-thermal-compounds-part-1-en/2/