Laptop Display/ Graphics Card Problem?

btcyber

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
Hi guys,

Problem
I have a 4 year old HP Probook 4310s that currently shows a blank screen upon powering on. The light indicator doesn't blink as it normally does.

Background
Specifications:
2.8GHz Core 2 Duo T9600 processor; 4GB RAM; 500GB HDD; 13.3-inch screen; 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD4330 graphics card; DVD writer; Windows 7 Home Edition

The original harddisk had failed on me last year and I had it replaced with an intel 520 SSD.

For the past few weeks there have been episodes of sudden shutdowns with the laptop showing the following screen:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47019514@N06/10990104844
However, it would function as per normal upon restart.

Just 2 days ago, while i was watching a DVD on my laptop, it started showing this screen while emitting a high pitched sound only audible through the earphones i was using.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47019514@N06/10990037876
I managed to shut it off by unplugging it and have never been able to power it on since.

It just shows a blank screen upon powering on. The light indicator doesn't blink as it normally does. Pressing any key on the keyboard just gives a sharp beep.

I would like to know if it is possible for anyone to tell if its the screen or the graphics card that is faulty. From what I have read, the latter basically means I would have to shell out for a new one.

I have some data which I would like recovered from the SSD. After doing some research online I have been led to believe it is possible, is that right?

Thank you so much for your help.

Regards,

Brandon

jznightmare

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
i would suggest that you bring your laptop to a HP service center / or to some other good/reputable laptop repair center. Basing from your description of the problem, the source of the problem could be from a number of components inside. It could be from the processor or ram or graphics card or mobo. etc etc. it would be hard to troubleshoot without opening it up.

for your data on the SSD i believe it can be easily be retrieved. i think theres no damage to the hard disk.

btcyber

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013

Thank you for your reply. After doing a little more research, I tried hooking the laptop to an external monitor via HDMI and nothing shows up on the screen. I am guessing that the graphics card is most likely faulty.

TRENDING THREADS