Solved! Laptop does not boot up.

Niklas_4

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017
Hello,

I am struggling with my laptop as it does not boot up. It's an Acer Aspire E1 572 bought circa 4 years ago. It has always worked fine but lately it has taken a lot to boot up, nearly 20 minutes. Once windows is running it works fine though. I therefore did not turn it off in order to avoid the problem but some weeks ago shutted it down and now it does not boot.

I have bought a new ram and an SSD to replace the HDD. Until some days ago the fans were spinning but nothing happened. (didn't notice the HDD light). Now the fans just spin for like 1 second and the HDD light lights up but it turns off after 1 second at the same time the fans stop spinning.

If I use the hdd the light is on and then off while for the ssd it flickers maybe 3 times and then turns off. After that nothing happens. Just the power light on. Under the case i can feel it gets warm though.

What could be the problem? Would appreciate any help

Solution
If it is getting warm, and the power lights are turning on, it may actually be on, and just the display is the issue. Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem...
If it is getting warm, and the power lights are turning on, it may actually be on, and just the display is the issue. Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

Solution

Niklas_4

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017
Thanks for answering,
I have tried to connect it to my TV but it says no signal. The thing is that I don't think it is the screen as it did turn on some time ago.

I also tried removing the battery but still does not work...

Jun 6, 2017
Mine is a Windows 7 Ultimate x32. It stuck while downloading updates-SP1 + a Language Pack- and I was impatient. I disabled and it hook up yet; tried installing .Net Frameworkw 1.0 and 1.1 thinking it might solve the problem, but nay (Raymomd .Net detector still saying the two areuninstalled, even though only 1.1 failed to install; and then I finally used Ctrl+Alt+Del to log off but all was slow and still until I used the Power key to force it off. When I restarted, it was even slow and launching Windows Update would worsen it all till I restarted again. All of a sudden, things became even slower at 'Starting Windows'. When I restarted the next time, there were messaged like like the blue screen-"Windows.... Shut down" and a black screen-"Operating system not detected until it could no longer boot; screen off; BIOS unavailable, etc. After some googling, I resolved to reset the BIOS physically and then reinstall Windows XP! After all the work and pressing power key, I was again scared by a" Launch Startup Repair (Recommended) option but I conceded. Soon there was the triangular, blue scan thing moving. I googled again to weigh my chances and got paranoid even more when I saw posts complaining hours, months and a proclamation that 300GB took such and such.... Reinstalling Windows would be best... While reading, it finally displayed a dialog that it has finished and would restart... If the fix was O. K. then we're good and otherwise 'Startup Repair' will restart. I obliged anyways to click/tap 'Finish'. Guess what?! Everything went fine! I'm still thinking if I should or not install SP1 (the HDD was installed only a week ago with a fresh install of Win7. Thanks for all good advices.