Laptop fell short distance, only boots to bios.

Kogure

Estimable
May 30, 2014
As I said in the title. It really wasn't much. Though it was on. I actually had to leave it for about 10 monues, and when I came back, it had some problems. Black screen for a while, Windows telling me something crashed, few second of the YouTube video I had open but without audio... And it was really slow. So I restarted it, and now it only boots to bios aftse a while on the starting MSI screen. The SATA section of the bios does say I have a 750 GB Hitachi drive, and other sections tell me about my memory and CPU.

I opened it to make sure everything is plugged in properly, but it hasn't helped. The laptop is also as hot as if I were running a video game, and the fan is on max speed. All while on the bios screen.

The drive led also lights up a few times during startup.

No errors or anything like that.

I believe the model is MSI GE60.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
When the laptop is in the BIOS it doesn't have the same power saving features as when in Windows so the CPU is probably running at full speed.

As for your issue, if reseating the HDD does not fix the issue then it sounds like the HDD might have sustained damage due to the drop. Especially since it was on and the HDD was probably spinning when dropped. If you get nothing I highly suggest taking to to a professional to see if any data can be recovered.

Kogure

Estimable
May 30, 2014
I think I'll try putting this hard drive in my roommate's PC to see what happens. If it works, it should take me past the bios with no problems, right? It's not OEM Windows. Though not sure what about the mobo and other drivers.

Kogure

Estimable
May 30, 2014
I've put the hard drive from the laptop into my PC, and the SSD from the PC into the laptop. Neither works. I have no idea what could be the issue right now...

Kogure

Estimable
May 30, 2014
I took it apart completely which was required for resetting the battery. After I've put it back together it worked once, but went to the bios again. After a restart the screen stopped working as well. It doesn't even send a signal to a monitor I hooked up through hdmi.

I give up, gonna take it to some repair place tomorrow.

TRENDING THREADS