Laptop for Architecture student

KCRivers

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Hello, I need computer for autocad work.
1. What is your budget?
500$-1000$

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1,024 x 768 display with true color (1,280 x 1,024 true color recommended)
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

5. How much battery life do you need?

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Maybe some MMORPG's like LOTRO.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
AutoCAD Architecture 2012
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2-3 years
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

13. What country do you live in?
Lithuania, but I'm going to buy it in UK.
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

KCRivers

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Would these graphic cards NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M, 550m, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M, run AutoCad without problems. I am asking cause I don't see them at certified list.

k1114

Distinguished
Yes those specs are fine but don't be stuck on dell, you want to look for the best price/performance/quality. Those gpus will work, the certified list is just the ones they tested. You might be able to find an i7 (make sure it has q for quad) to help with rendering and you'll want to get a good gpu like the ones you listed. Ram is important too but is less important as it can be changed out easily. The newer generation of i5/i7 have 4 numbers likes the i5-2430m since you want don't want old stuff.

rapidtransit

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
I'm using an older Lenovo T400, still runs like a champ using Alibre 3D Cad, a Thinkpad from the T series or W series are real workhorse laptops. They cost more than a similar configured laptop from Dell, HP etc but your paying for something that is geared toward professional use.

k1114

Distinguished
"Real" workstation laptops have quadros and every company offers workstation models. You don't need a them to run autocad but will cost more and run better in large projects.

error23

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
What about AMD Radeon HD 7670M?

searching for a autocad architecture 2012 notebook and found this one

http://geizhals.at/755580

but im not shure... well i think processor is ok, ram too, 17,3" led screen with high resolution is nice too, but im not shure if the graphic card will work :/

anyone can tell me plz?