Solved! Laptop for Business and Pleasure

syxxnyne69

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
1. What is your budget?
$1000-$1500 If something can be found under $1000 then great

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15" to 18"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Not too sure?

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
umm a little of both Its going to be used out in the field when im working on client pc's as I am a Computer Tech

5. How much battery life do you need?
not sure again?

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
of course i want to play games but i only play 2 games : Call of Duty most recent and Total War series games including the upcoming Shogun 2, as for setting i would definitely have to say Medium to High

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Watching movies, Transcoding video with convertxtodvd, and some amateur photo, video and audio editing

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
id say at least 500gb, as i have 8-1tb hdds

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
nothing specific in mind, in the US preferably

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
id say at least a couple of years or so

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
dvdrw

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain
the reasons.
The only brand that i do prefer, but am open to suggestions is Asus and their ROG lineup of laptops they have great specs, and look sleek but looks are not a factor at all

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I know this is awhile away but I dont plan on purchasing it until January of 2011

Solution

Hi there,

If you don't need Blu-ray, you probably don't want to spend the extra money on the laptop with a Blu-Ray player. Here is a really great resource to check how different graphics cards will perform with the games you want to play. You can view by game: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-420M.35837.0.html.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

You should look into the Alienware M15x. It is a great gaming laptop with a 15.6" screen, powerful 2.8 GHz Intel® Core™ i7-720QM processor, and NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 240M graphics. It starts at $1,199, so it is definitely within your price range.

What do you think of this Alienware?

Cheers,
Isabella

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi,

Good find! The Asus does have excellent specs for a comparable price. The reviews are also really great, so you know actual users are happy with it.

Do you think that's the one you are going to buy?

Cheers,
Isabella

syxxnyne69

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

The first and last laptop on there appear to be the same except for the presence of a Blu-ray player. Are you willing to pay extra money for Blu-ray? Another deciding factor for you should be the graphics card. Have you checked the system requirements of the games you will be playing the most to see which graphics card they recommend?

Cheers,
Isabella

syxxnyne69

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
ok well i only ever play 2 games call of duty which requirements are

• Video: Shader 3.0 or better 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT / ATI Radeon X1950Pro or better

and total war series games including the upcoming Shogun 2 installment but i have no idea what the requirements are gonna be

and i dont care to have a bluray player

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

If you don't need Blu-ray, you probably don't want to spend the extra money on the laptop with a Blu-Ray player. Here is a really great resource to check how different graphics cards will perform with the games you want to play. You can view by game: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-420M.35837.0.html.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Isabella

Solution