Laptop for business (excel&powerpoint heavy) / light gaming

kaelp

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
1. What is your budget?
Max US900

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Lighter the better of course, mid-sized say under 5lbs. Preferrably bigger than 10ins.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Not really particular, but would want to watch videos and play some games every now and then.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I'm a bit of a traveller so it will serve as my main computer.

5. How much battery life do you need?
More than 4 hours hopefully

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Haven't played games since KOTR but would love to start playing again every now and then. I've read you can play diablo III on medium settings? So I guess a laptop that can handle playing Diablo III on medium settings.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I don't do video editing but would want to be able to do photoshop w/o the laptop hanging or slowing down significantly.

I'm a fixed income salesperson for a bank so mainly I do a lot of work on excel and powerpoint.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500gb+?

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3-5 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD player, don't necessarily need a writer

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Not really knowledgeable enough to know which is which, though I've read asus has quality laptops for cheaper prices.

13. What country do you live in?
Fly in and out singapore, hong kong, us, and philippines.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
This would be my first personal laptop so and I'm not really much of a techie, usually relied on my cousin for advice on this. Would sincerely appreciate any and all help or advice you can give.

Thanks!

M

coper210

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Well here is one that I found, it meets all of your specs except for the weight of the machine, it is around 7 pounds but it has a great ivy bridge processor and a nice graphics card, you will be able to play diablo 3 at max settings with no problem. Plus it has a nice big hard drive and a nice screen, but if your main concern is portability please let me know and I will keep looking for you. =)

- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215410

kaelp

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Hey thanks for the quick response. I'm actually looking at an asus w/similar price and specs. Unfortunately the drawback is the same, 3.3kgs weight. I'm reading up on other forums and they mentioned the hp envy's able to play DiabloIII at mid settings w/o heating up and a decent fps. I guess I'm looking for something similar but cheaper. More portable, fast processing w/ decent enough video card.

coper210

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Well to be honest HP does not have the best track record but I have heard some good things about the Envy, The one problem with the envy is that it uses integrated graphics and not a dedicated graphics card like the one I suggested in the earlier post. It is hard to find a good graphics card in a portable laptop because graphics cards do take up a lot of space, Since you are going to be using this as your main computer I would go with the Acer but I will keep looking for a more portable one with a decent graphics card for you.

coper210

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
I just found this one, it is 5.5 pounds and has a 15.6" screen so it will be a lot more portable, it has a better hard drive and very nice RAM. The only drawback is the graphics card, you will still be able to play diablo 3 with good FPS but it will not be as good as the Acer, but since you do not need to be playing at max settings this graphics card should be perfect. Another thing is it looks pretty cool. Overall the samsung seems the best out of the HP Envy and Acer, Please let me know if you have any more questions.

- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131305