Laptop for elderscrolls online.

Kressark

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Hello, a friend of mine was wanting to know where to get a laptop good enough to play elderscrolls Online on Ultra settings when its released. I know Zenimax hasent released the game requirements yet, But I assumed it wouldnt be to hard to figure out.

I looked on Alienware and it felt to me like he would be paying mostly for namebrand, I also looked on Cyberpowerpc and they had a few good ones. I didnt try looking into building it, as im sure he wouldnt have a clue on how to do so.

Im not sure if Alienware would be better then the others or not. Im not real sure on how laptops work. I dont know what the cooling on them would be, and playing for hours really heats em up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. What is your budget? 2000ish

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Dosent matter

3. What screen resolution do you want? Bigger the better

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? not sure what this statement means. but we travel for a living if that helps.

5. How much battery life do you need? dosent matter

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? ULTRA!

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Nothing fancy, just gaming

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? enough to download alot of games. nothing crazy

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Any is fine

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 2 days then im gonna toss it out...weird question

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? basic dvd drive.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Any brand is acceptable. as long as it has good cooling

13. What country do you live in? United States

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. Think I said it all. looking for one that can play The Elderscrolls Online when it comes out.

Thank you for any advise you can give me!

DarkSable

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Look at Origin Computers and Falcon NW.

They're pretty much the best high-end options, laptops included. (If someone is unable to build a computer, or is so willfully ignorant they refuse or want to waste the money, those two are the only pre-built gaming PC companies that I consider decent.)

mclovits

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
Falcon computers are rediculously overpriced. Origin is alright but I'd recommend either Xotic PC or Malibal, both offer great options for impressive gaming and rendering laptops. ALSO, the next generation of mobile GPU's is coming out, Nvidia and AMD have already revealed select models of their next (at least mobile) series of GPU's, I'd wait till then so you can get more performance from your new laptop before seeking advice on a build. We don't really know if the game will even be a demanding one at this point, so it would be good to wait until at least some gameplay footage or pc requirements are released.

andrewcarr

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
This is the laptop I'd recommend.
http://web.eurocom.com/EC/ec_model_config1(1,226,0)
Change the screen to the free matte non glare screen.
Change the GPU to a 7970m.
Change OS to windows 7 premium 64bit (I would also consider having it shipped without an OS so you can install it on SSD after you put it in).

I would install an extra SSD myself since you have enough money left over.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147193
Also decide what main HDD you want, I would choose between the 750 GB regular HDD or 1 TB (but a bit slower) HDD. You can also consider the SDHD upgrade but with the SSD there isn't much of a point.

Price should be about 1700 depending on the options you picked. Then the $240 for the SSD which is under the 2k budget.

This model is rather big but you actually can upgrade your GPU and other components in the future. So if you get it with a 7970m and decide you want the new 8970m in the future that's possible.

Godzilla45

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
Try either an ACER V3-771G (£600), I have one and it is proving to be VERY useful. SWTOR, Fallen Earth and Planetside 2 are just 3 of the MMO's that work on it. Battlefield 3 works, and old games like StarWars: DarkForces.

In Argos.
Price - £599.99
Processor - Intel Core I5
Memory - 8GB
Hard Drive - 1TB (1000GB)
Graphics - Nvidia Ge Force
Wi-fi - Yes - Good for online gaming and streaming.
Webcam - Yes - Not bad, good for skype or You Tube.
HDMI - Yes - Good if your not out and about and want a bigger screen.
Card Reader - Yes - As I use a camera lots, this was quite useful.
USB - 2x 3.0 + 2x 2.0
Bluetooth - Yes - Never found this useful.
OS - Windows 8
Disc Drive - Blu-Ray
Numeric Keypad - Yes
Weight - 3.0kg
Screen Size - 17.3"

I'd rate it out of 5 (5 being good) -
Gaming - (Offline - Online) 5 - 4
Entertainment - 3
Portability - 4
Documents (Microsoft Word, PhotoShop) - 5