Solved! Laptop for games

4my8

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Hi all!

I am planning on buying a new laptop and can spend up to $1000 us. I want to get a laptop the is lightweight under 5lbs and has good battery life 3hrs or more...also I want something powerful enough to play Tom clancy Rainbow six Vegas 2. as i dont no much about the graphics cards.

Please send some options that i could look at.

Solution
You're not going to find lightweight, powerful, AND long battery life. You gotta compromise somewhere. Hell, it's going to be hard to get 3hrs of battery life off of a laptop with a discrete GPU, forget about weight.

What settings on that game are you hoping for? If you can settle with medium settings on 1280x720 or so, then you could get a laptop with a geforce 9400m integrated card - and still have battery life and lightweight. Short of this, you're gunna have to cut back somewhere.

Edit: apparently 9400m cards dont exist outside of netbooks and apple laptops... nevermind then. You're next best hope is an HD 3200 or GeForce 9200m, both of which will probably have to be on low settings.

Edit: HD4650 -...

HibyPrime

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
You're not going to find lightweight, powerful, AND long battery life. You gotta compromise somewhere. Hell, it's going to be hard to get 3hrs of battery life off of a laptop with a discrete GPU, forget about weight.

What settings on that game are you hoping for? If you can settle with medium settings on 1280x720 or so, then you could get a laptop with a geforce 9400m integrated card - and still have battery life and lightweight. Short of this, you're gunna have to cut back somewhere.

Edit: apparently 9400m cards dont exist outside of netbooks and apple laptops... nevermind then. You're next best hope is an HD 3200 or GeForce 9200m, both of which will probably have to be on low settings.

Edit: HD4650 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157045
GT240m - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220566

Solution
Hi all!

I am planning on buying a new laptop and can spend up to $1000 us. I want to get a laptop the is lightweight under 5lbs and has good battery life 3hrs or more...also I want something powerful enough to play Tom clancy Rainbow six Vegas 2. as i dont no much about the graphics cards.

Please send some options that i could look at.
Hello :)
Plz fill the FAQ first:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/50797-35-read-buying-laptop

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Gaming laptops are most of the time a bad idea especially with recent games....

For my experience id get an asus computer:

better reliability, better warranty, good prices.... but be aware that battery life will suck if you play games...

My siter got an asus and always been gaming: after 2 year still runs perfectly... compare to the "other"

toshiba: bad quality, bad costumer support, bad warranty, overheat problems
Acer/HP : good quality, bad warranty, overheat problems
Gateway: Bad quality, bad warranty, overheat problems, no costumer support

endrewsmith

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009

You know ACER owns Gateway. So they are basically the same.

endrewsmith

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009

I hope low end doesn't equate to low quality. Cuz I can imagine there would be another level below Acer. It's already at bottom.

konicki

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
I am also looking at the new GATEWAY FX... i have a friend who has the previous model with the 9800gt and he runs most games very well. The upgrade would be the DDR3 ram and the NVIDIA 260M, though i dont know "how" much performance difference that will make.