Solved! Laptop for photo editing, entertainment, and field work

shahn.taylor

Prominent
Dec 20, 2018
1. What is your budget?

~$1500, though slightly negotiable

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

14”-17” (preference is a 15-16” screen)

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Based on budget and battery life, thinking focus should be FHD, though would prefer 3K/4K or even an OLED.

Focus is on calibration and nits. At minimum, need 100% sRGB or higher than 72% NTSC. Screen brightness - >350 nits min and non-glossy, as I will be working outside with some frequency

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable

5. How much battery life do you need?

5-6 hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Probably nothing more than Sudoku/Solitaire :)

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Photo editing and entertainment viewage; otherwise, basic office stuff

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Looking at the 500GB Samsung 970, as it suits my needs. Storage of photos will be external, excluding those currently being worked on

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Considering the Lenovo X1 Gen 7 but frustrated by the inability to swap/upgrade most components.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

3-5 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

None

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Lenovo - historically where I have bought from before but screens are always dull and are a struggle to be seen outside. Looking at the X1 7th Gen but RAM and WiFi cards cannot be swapped. Add in to that, no option to add Samsung 970 unless I do it after receipt (option, especially as I can get laptop at around $1100 with 16GB RAM)

ASUS - Have had 1 laptop (Bamboo series) which though I HATED the trackpad and was not knowledgeable enough to realize how poor the low resolution would look, it was a good computer and thereby, would consider them again.

Sager Notebooks - continuously being told they are not aware of the color gamut’s their monitors cover, nor can they tell me which panel is being used. Also, says they are IPS-type, so not sure what that means and still have not gotten an answer satisfied with. The experience has been rather offsetting.

MSI - looking at them only because of searching for a new desktop monitor and while doing so, they came across my screen.

HP - do know in the past, they had some incredible screens. Never purchased and have little knowledge of reliability

Dell - have had a few of them and just not a fan. The XPS 13 and 15 may be gorgeous machines but not my cup of tea.

Also have been looking at OriginPC, XoticPC, and GenTechPC, which caused even more confusion and therefore the need for my questionnaire.

13. What country do you live in?

USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I like backlit keyboards with a little bit of travel (want to feel that I am actually pressing the keys down)

Please do not suggest Apple - ex has a 15” series that may have a beautiful display but the more I work on it, and use my iPad (convenient for work), the more I become disgruntled with the Apple ecosystem.

Solution
Lenovo P models have good screens, probably the best ones in their line. Systems from xotic PCs are good to look at because they have a good sorting of their systems and show the screen color ratings. Even if you are looking at the other models they sell not their home brand it's a good site to look at.
Lenovo P models have good screens, probably the best ones in their line. Systems from xotic PCs are good to look at because they have a good sorting of their systems and show the screen color ratings. Even if you are looking at the other models they sell not their home brand it's a good site to look at.

Solution