Solved! Laptop for picky user

FrenziedMuffin

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
Hello fellow geeks!

I often get asked questions on which laptops to get for different users, but this recent user is making me crazy. :pt1cable: I would appreciate some assistance and opinions. Finding the proper specs for the user is no problem, but this particular person is very picky with aesthetics and so I need to find computers that conform to their taste of style.

I feel the user needs to have at least the baseline specs shown here at a $600 price point. Obviously better is always good.

Specs:
CPU: i3-i5 (Sandy if possible)
HDD: 320GB+ 5400rpm+
RAM: 4GB
Screen: 14in – 15.6in user preferred 14, but would “live” with 15.6
GPU: Integrated is fine, but I think it would be good for the user to have an expansion slot if they want to add a GPU later.
1 HDMI port
CD/Drive (Some 14in models lacked a CD/DVD Drive and that is a deal breaker.)

Aesthetics:
Color: User doesn’t like plain “plastic” black. They want color other then black or a really well done black computer.
Keyboard: User is extremely picky with keyboard. Shows large interest in the Sony VAIO \ MacBook keyboard style.
Touchpad: User dislikes the dimpled design in favor of a smooth design. I feel the dimple design it will grow on them if they use the dimple pad more however.
Weight: >=6lbs

I’ve directed the user to VAIO laptops that seem to conform to the users aesthetic taste, but am curious of alternatives.

Thanks!

Solution
Hello FM;

When I saw the mention about being "picky with keyboard" Lenovo came to mind. IMO I think they get it right with the keyboards.
Out right now is the new SB Lenovo Z570 15" and it comes in at right about your price target $600 for i3, $650 for i5.
The use the island/chiclet type keyboard you mention, and I think it has all your other points covered.
Lenovo Z570 data sheet

images

14" Z470 due out in May might also be a target. - Lenovo Z470 data sheet.

20110111000457-3614.jpg
Solution

bliq00

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Might end up above your budget but the new Dell Inspiron 14R might also be an alternative- it has core i3 sandy bridge and switchable lids (additional lids for extra cost of course)