Laptop for School and Occasional Gaming

FreshBeast

Estimable
Feb 14, 2014
I'm looking for a laptop for my school works and to play at league of legends occasionally. I don't want a killer gaming laptop but I don't want to buy a cheap one. The prize doesn't really matters. Is a macbook pro a good option ? Thank you :)

Solution
If money is not a huge deciding, I'd check out the MSI GS60 Ghost Pro (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152590).

It only weighs 4.3 lbs, which is perfect for a student! It can run LoL on maximum settings and it's a great looking laptop. The downside is the price tag and the battery life (only a few hours). This definitely in realm of "gaming laptop" so it may not be something you're looking for, but it's an extremely fast and lightweight laptop.

I'd also check out this (http://www.amazon.com/Acer-V7-582PG-7657-15-6-Inch-Touchscreen-Ultrabook/dp/B00K2O4QPY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1405469979&sr=8-3&keywords=acer+laptop+850m)

I'm not quite sure when the laptop will be released, but it can run LoL on high settings...

Dylan1999

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Dont... get... a Mac... EVER! legit tho dont. http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8869819&CatId=3982 this beast is cheaper and can be used for gaming and pretty much anything else. If you want a 14" version or any other version with better specs, etc just click this: http://shop.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/
i cant find the y510/y410p laptops on their website anymore but they sell it in stores. The laptops here are what I assume are the newer versions. I hope this helps and have fun! :D

If you like the design and operating system of a Macbook Pro, I'd go for it!

However, the price is exorbitant and you can get a better GPU option at a cheaper price. The new integrated Intel GPU are enough to handle LoL at low to medium settings. So if you're okay with that, I'd go for it (I used to have a Macbook Pro and played LoL on it).

I love the battery life on Macbook Pro's and the overall ease of use in the OS.

I'd also recommend this (http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-N550JK-DS71T-15-6-Inch-Touchscreen-Laptop/dp/B00IAA5BSS/ref=psdc1_t2_B00K2O4S0W_B00IAA5BSS). This can run LoL on high settings and it's a cheaper alternative to the Macbok Pro.

It really depends on your preference towards design, OS, and cost. :)

Dylan1999

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

you know ur shit xD the laptop you suggested though is thin and could overheat easily if you stress it too much.Its a nice laptop tho

Yeah ... I mean I didn't think the poster would want to bring an ACTUAL gaming laptop. Those are huge, but run cooler because of the larger fans. As a student, I wanted something that could play games and not look bulky so I usually opt for mainstream-appeal laptops.

Also there aren't any complaints of overheating or excessive heat from the reviewers (most of whom play modern games in high settings), which was surprising, but good. :)

Additionally, I'd recommend any 800M series card versus 700M series because they're generally more power efficient (better battery life) and they produce higher frame rates. They give modern laptops the ability to be lighter and leaner, but faster at the same time (perfect for a student).

Dylan1999

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
FreshBeat... I recommend you listen to this guy. He really knows what hes talking about. xD I do agree though. If you just want to to low to medium stress gaming then a thinner laptop shouldnt be bad at all.

FreshBeast

Estimable
Feb 14, 2014

That's exactly what I want ! A thin but powerful laptop :D Thank you !

Dylan1999

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

the one that the other guy suggested is probably the best you can find for the price. Unless you want to spend way more money then stick with that one.

If money is not a huge deciding, I'd check out the MSI GS60 Ghost Pro (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152590).

It only weighs 4.3 lbs, which is perfect for a student! It can run LoL on maximum settings and it's a great looking laptop. The downside is the price tag and the battery life (only a few hours). This definitely in realm of "gaming laptop" so it may not be something you're looking for, but it's an extremely fast and lightweight laptop.

I'd also check out this (http://www.amazon.com/Acer-V7-582PG-7657-15-6-Inch-Touchscreen-Ultrabook/dp/B00K2O4QPY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1405469979&sr=8-3&keywords=acer+laptop+850m)

I'm not quite sure when the laptop will be released, but it can run LoL on high settings and it has a 6.5 hour battery life. :) The laptop should be released soon since it was posted a month ago.

Solution

FreshBeast

Estimable
Feb 14, 2014

Looks great ! :) I'm not used with acer tho , are their products reliable ? :p

kenghtt

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
I have a xps 15 L502x and it is a pretty powerful machine. I can play League of Legends on High Settings...Problem is that its kinda big and its a few years old now... I know you want a laptop for school as well so I definitely would suggest something thin as well.
Over the years XPS has improved and I would suggest getting the "New" XPS 15 on Dell.com. Go ahead and check their site, don't go for any of their other products. XPS has been the best laptop I have and its thinner now too...Much lighter!

And for the MAC BOOK PRO, don't use it if you plan to game. It doesn't give you the mouse options you need in order to play well compared to a Windows machine.

FreshBeast

Estimable
Feb 14, 2014

Oh nice ! Also , which one would you pick between the asus and acer you suggested ? :D

For the value, the ASUS wins by far.

It has great reviews and a much BETTER performance than the Acer. The Acer has a slightly longer battery life, but the laptop has yet to be released so it's hard to say if it's a great purchase. :)

Additionally, the ASUS weighs 1.2 lbs heavier than Acer, which is something to consider if you want something lighter!

FreshBeast

Estimable
Feb 14, 2014

I totally agree with you ! , I've had bad experiences with Dell :/

FreshBeast

Estimable
Feb 14, 2014

Why the asus would have better performance than the acer ? I mean the graphic card is the same as well as the processor.... :p

The processor is the biggest difference. Though it says both are an i7 Processor, the difference is in the performance. The Acer has an Intel Core i7-4510U. The "U" indicates ultra-low voltage meaning it'll use less power (longer battery life) and it'll produce less heat, but this hinders performance.

The ASUS has an Intel Core i7-4700HQ, which means high performance ("HQ" designation). This type of mobile processor is made for the best possible performance versus the "U" and it's focus on battery and heat efficiency.

The battery life advertised for the Acer is 6.5 hours, which is 1.5 hours more than the ASUS (5 hours advertised). This is due to the Acer's energy efficient mobile processor.

For LoL, the Acer should run great, without any hiccup, but for the best performance the ASUS is a clear winner. :)