Laptop for school

sap chicken

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
hello, can you guy's help me out choosing a laptop for school?

1.What is your budget?

about 600 euros so about 800 dollars.
I need an opinion on this budget, it’s actually the max I can spend so I’d gladly accept a lower priced recommendation?

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

I'd like a 15.6 inch or smaller.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Just the normal 1366x768 stuff.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable, I’ve got a good desktop.

5. How much battery life do you need?

I think battery life for a whole day is to much to ask... I was thinking about 4 hours, I could charge it between the breaks or just buy a spare battery.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

It would be fun if I could play some games when I’m bored, GTA San Andreas, Starcraft, Minecraft. Just on playable settings.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Most of it will be for notes, surfing on the web, watching some dvd’s and using programs that they use on the school (probably nothing heavier than office)

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

I've got a 500 GB 2.5inch external hdd so I don’t really need much, I was thinking about just replacing the internal HDD of the laptop with a 60GB SSD just for the power consumption (does it matter much in power consumption or is it just spilled money?).

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Well I'm in Europe (Netherlands) so sites wouldn't really help.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

Until it breaks really, I hope quite a few years (4 years or something).

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

DVD ROM would be great but none is fine too.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I really don’t care, never have had a laptop before...
I think I want a laptop with the Intel's Sandy Bridge platform or the AMD's Fusion platform just because those are the newest.

13. What country do you live in?

The Netherlands

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I've been looking around for laptops and I've found quite a few and they created quite a few questions.

The Asus K53SV is for sale here for 599 euro's, It has the best specs I found. It has a Intel core i5 2410M and a GeForce GT540M gpu, are there any disadvantages to a discreet gpu, will it mater much in battery life?

The HP Pavilion g6-1141sd is for sale for 539 euro's and it's a bit smaller, should be fine and leaves money in my budget for another battery. this one has a onboard gpu, is there a big difference with the GT540M?

The MSI CR640-057NL is for sale for 470 euro's, this has a intel core i3 and onboard gpu. I'd build a vertex 2 60GB into it for about 90 euro's and still be well within budget.

My problem is that I don’t actually know how high my budget needs to be, is an intel atom enough for my needs? Do I get a better bang for the buck with a AMD based laptop?

Netherlands laptop sites (or other Euro sites you could order from) would help a LOT.
That way we're not suggesting laptops that aren't available to you or are priced above your budget.

MSI CR640-057NL and the integrated HD 3000 graphics is fine for entertainment and school or office work - but it really falls short when it comes to gaming.

And it looks like the HP Pavilion g6-1141sd model is also missing a dedicated graphics card.

sap chicken

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Does the onboard HD3000 graphics really, really falls short as in 5 fps in an old game like GTA San Andreas on low settings? Because I just need it for school and it doesn’t have to be a gaming machine and the lower form factor and lower price of the HP appeals me.

Do you think there is any difference between the two models of K53SV you saw and this one, I mean all of the specs are the same only the name is different, could that mean that it’s an older version with bugs or errors?

So the 599 asus laptop is just the most powerful machine for the money? Any idea how powerful it is? I just want to know if I didn’t overshoot my budget by a few hundred euros.

K53SV-SX146V looks good. Core i5 2410M / 4GB RAM / 500GB HDD / GT 540M

Hard to know exactly what the model suffix says. It's got LED backlight so it's not an ancient LCD screen model. I can't see the difference in the spec sheets.

-> Not likely ANY laptop would ship with known bugs or problems.

GPU performance is a mix of older and new games:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

sap chicken

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Oh wow that GT540M has some game! That K53SV is quite the power house.
I think I'm going to some stores and ask if I could see that one, see how heavy it is and actually see and feel the screen and keyboard.
the Intel HD 3000 graphics seem to be far enough for my needs so that's an option too.

Also I think I'm going to wait until I meet some of my classmates to ask what they have, in the end I might even go with the MSI one alone.

uzumakiwalid

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
If you happen to watch High-Def Movie(1080p) too, the extra horsepower of 540M will help very much, as i happen to have not-really-acceptable performance on having intel hd 3000 playing 1080p. The discret graphic card may affect battery life, but here with my laptop which has i7-2630QM, 4GB RAM, and GeForce GT540M 1GB, i can squeeze 5 hours while typing, >3 hours playing video with headset, and got 45 minutes playing Crysis 2 720p Very High setting.

TRENDING THREADS