Laptop for writer with RSI

Melidere

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Hi there, I'm looking to buy a laptop to replace my ailing desktop PC. After a fair bit of research I haven't found much, so would be really grateful for any suggestions.

The features that are really important is a good, comfortably keyboard (I suffer from RSI but do a lot of writing), and a non-reflective screen. I know you can get anti-glare screen covers but I don't know how good these are - especially if I'm the one putting it on.

Apologies if my other requirements are a bit vague - it's just that I'm flexible, plus I've never owned a laptop so I've never used one for a long period of time...

1. What is your budget?
Preferably under £500. I'd maybe spend a few hundred more for a laptop powerful enough to run something like Adobe Premiere for video editing/processing high res media.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Definitely want a reasonable size - so I suppose at least 15".

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Just something reasonable.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Will be mainly home-based but needs to be fairly portable.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Something reasonable

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No gaming.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Mainly used for normal web browsing, emails etc. One of the most important uses will be for writing. The ability to edit high res video would be a big bonus (though I think unlikely in my budget!).

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Something reasonable.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
-

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I would like it to be around for at least 3 years...

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Anything would be great, but it's not a deal-breaker

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
-

13. What country do you live in?
UK

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Main requirements are: good, comfortably keyboard and a non-reflective screen.

Again, if anyone could help I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks,
Meli

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
The thing is that a laptop keyboard is a very generic piece of equipment and is pretty standard across all the brands. My advice (and my partner has RSI) is that you use and external keyboard and mouse (avoid the touchpad they are useless) and an external screen. This will allow you to use more configurable equipment but you will be able to use the laptop when portability is required. You need to be able to adjust your working environment and external keyboard mouse and screen will allow you to do that.