Laptop freezes after spill and takes a while to boot up again. How can I diagnose the problem?

Yoadles

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
Windows 10.
Inspiron 7000 Dell

Yes, I know it's stupid. Took a huge risk by trying to turn it on hours later..and I know spilling the tea on it was already a pretty stupid thing. So. Yeah. The stupidity of this is astronomical. I remember how the water instantly drenched the laptop...and how it turned off with a small moan. After I soaked up most of the water inside the laptop I set it to the side. So after the day wait I booted it up and it miraculously got to my desktop...until it froze. It didn't unfreeze after a minute so I forcibly turned it off. Turning it back on afterwards just makes the power light flash on, nothing more. A half a day later I tried again and somehow it worked...till it froze again on desktop and shut off, repeating the strange cycle. I'll wait a day or two and start it again, like I should have to begin with. But...this seems like a pretty crazy thing. What type of damage is this? Is it even possible for me to fix it? Or should I just send it in ASAP for repairs? I don't know if there's water still inside that could be screwing it up. It's been quite a while.

You need to first turn it off and leave it off. Then disconnect any power cord connection, remove anything you have connected to the laptop (speakers, mouse, sd card, etc.,) and finally open it up and remove the battery.

Then, depending on how much liquid was spilled, you need to leave it like that, open and to dry, for anywhere from 2 to 7 days. Yes days. More if was a huge amount of liquid or was left for a while with liquid in it before found.

Yoadles

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
Hm, I can't exactly remove things as that'd void the warranty. I can leave it shut off in indirect sunlight tho.

I guess I can't be too hasty here, although the strange freezing hang ups are something I am too curious about. Wish I knew what they're caused by.

Yoadles

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
I think my laptop is too MVP for me. I don't take good enough care of it... x)

Anyways so, yup. The laptop is...great. It's a miracle it survived.
Nonetheless, I suspect that it was damaged. When I turn it on now the screen glitches out for a split second. I'd like to know if I could properly judge the damage beyond that.

However, it reboots instantly and games still run flawlessly. It's been on 20 minutes and hasn't frozen. Good sign.

I, uh, downplayed how much was spilled on it...in fact it was practically submerged in liquid. It got through the vents and everything...fuq..
It's just hard to decide whether or not I should sacrifice it for a month and send it in.