Laptop freezes on shutting down and when the lid is closed.

venom0706

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
I have a brand new laptop Lenovo z510 (Win 7 Ultimate x64, Intel i3 4000M 2,4 GHz, 8 GB RAM and Nvidia Geforce GT 740 M). It recently started to develop the following problems: On random principle, when I close the lid, the laptop doesn't go into sleep mode. Instead, only the display turns off, however the OS still works. Since the display is black, I have to reboot the laptop. Of course, I have checked the settings in "Power options" and it is adjusted to Sleep when the lid is closed. I also tried, re-installing drivers and even re-installing Win 7. The problem still occurs.

Along with this, another problem also occurs. Again on random principle, the laptop just freezes on the "shutting down" screen. This started to happen at the same time, when the previosly mentioned issue occured.

I am really desperate, since my laptop is brand new, and it hasn't been dropped or hit. I moved to another country after I bought it and the warranty is not valid here. I really don't know what to do. I would really appreciate if you can help me. Thank you very much

Noaman Khalil

Estimable
Mar 7, 2014
perhaps there is something wrong in the laptops circuitry or there is fault in your hard drive either one is your problem id recommend taking it to the place where you bought it and demand an explanation perhaps go a start screaming at the top of your lungs to scare the tech guy into helping you .

venom0706

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
I found a solution to the first problem - I put it into sleep mode by the power button (there is this option above the "closing the lid" one) and then put it back on by pressing it again. However, the second problem still remains. Any idea whether I can use it by rebooting it every time it freezes on the shutting down screen? Will this damage the system and how long will the OS last, until I damage it to a level, that I have to re-install it again? Thank you.

supasieu

Estimable
Mar 10, 2014
Is this happen when you're on Battery or Plugged In? Try
- When I press the power button: Shut down (on battery), Shut down (Plugged In)
- When I press the sleep button: Sleep (on battery, plugged in)
- When I close the lid: Shut down (on battery), Hibernate (Plugged In)

venom0706

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Did everything. Here are the results:

When I press the power button: Shut down (on battery): everything fine; Shut down (plugged in): everything fine.
When I press the power button: Sleep (on battery) :everything fine; Sleep (plugged in): freezes.
When I close the lid: Shut down (on battery): everything fine; Hibernate (plugged in): everything fine, but it got 20-30 seconds before it hibernated.

But like I said, everything happens randomly, so I don't know where the problem comes from.

venom0706

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Thank you! The freezing on the "shutting down" screen is gone, however, it still freezes when I close the lid. Any ideas? And does it matter that when I re-install the OS, I don't make a restart after every driver installation, but restart once, after all of them are installed?

supasieu

Estimable
Mar 10, 2014

How are you re-install the OS? For drivers installation, it is recommend that you reboot when asked. As for the system freeze when you close the lid, try take out the battery and use only A/C adapter (make sure you turn the system complety OFF before take out the batt). I'm not sure what's the exact causes but I would try anything that related to power management including software/hardware.

venom0706

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
I can't remove the battery, since this model of Lenovo is made really tricky and access to the battery can be achieved after everything else gets removed. I have nor the tools or the knowledge to do it and I prefer not to, in order not to mess my laptop completely. Any other solutions you can recommend me?

venom0706

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
The "Do nothing" option when I close the lid works flawless, without any problems. The display turns off when close and on immediately when I open the lid. However, it freezes when on "Sleep" option. Closing lid: Do nothing (fine), sleep (freezes).

venom0706

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Every driver for the laptop is installed and is up to date. There isn't a bios driver on the site since it is not required. The only reason for this problem that I can think of, is the fact that I installed all the drivers at once and rebooted when I installed the OS, but I did this before and the problem didn't occur.