Laptop freezes randomly and emits loud screeching/crackling

whoshuu

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Hi,

First time posting on this forum. I've been searching through it for the past couple of days for a solution to an issue I'm having for a laptop I've had for a little over two years now. None of the other posters seem to have the same exact issue, and the solutions suggested don't appear to have worked.

The problem:

Every couple of days or so, the laptop would completely freeze up, and if I had any sound playing from it at the time of the crash, it would be bumped up to full volume, and looped/distorted in a very unpleasant way. Waiting doesn't seem to resolve the issue, it appears to be frozen entirely. Holding down the power button will shut down the system, as will removing the power supply and battery.

These freezes will happen regardless of which applications I'm using, if any at all. When I leave my computer on overnight, without running any programs at all, I would wake up to find the screen frozen (but without any of the sound issues because the system wasn't currently playing sound at the time of the crash).

System specs:

Model: Sager NP8170/Clevo P170HM
BIOS: AMI 4.6.4
Chipset: Intel Sandy Bridge Rev 09
Southbridge: Intel HM67 Rev B2
CPU: Intel Core i7 2720QM Socket 988B rPGA
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470M
RAM: 2 x 2GB DDR3 PC3-10700 SoDIMM Modules
Audio: Realtek ALC892
Disk Drive 1: OCZ Vertex 3 120gb SSD on confirmed SATA-3 Port
Disk Drive 2: Hitachi 500gb HDD on confirmed SATA-2 Port

Diagnosis:

So far I think I've ruled out a couple of possibilities. First, I don't believe this is an overheating issue, like so many other people conclude who have similar problems. The freezing will occur no matter if I'm playing a game, editing a document, or just idling. This isn't to say that my laptop does not overheat. In fact it does, but that is a separate issue entirely because when my laptop overheats, it automatically turns itself off, as opposed to freezing the screen and playing distorted and loud sounds.

To test this further I ran a number of graphical and processor strength tests. I ran MSI Kombustor and Furmark to test the GPU, and though the temps reached dangerous highs, my computer did not freeze nor shut down. Similarly, I ran prime95 for a couple of hours to test the CPU and RAM, and my computer did not freeze or shut down either. Given my symptoms (freezing while idling) and the results of these tests, I don't believe the issue is that my computer overheats.

I also don't think it's a RAM issue, though I'm less confident about this than I am about the above. I ran a number of memtest tests for about 9 hours last night, and everything checks out. I could possibly be running these tests wrong, but I've ran each of the 10 for about 3-5 passes each, depending on how long each took, and there were absolutely no errors. Again, there's a chance I'm just running this wrong, but I don't think I am. If anyone suggests it, I could also try running memtest on each individual RAM module, though I think if both modules pass the test in tandem, then there shouldn't be a reason to test each individually.

This issue started about three or so months ago. I reformatted my HDD (not with quick format) and installed a fresh copy of Windows on the SSD (which is absolutely new) last weekend, hoping it would solve any of the issues I had with freezing. A couple of days after the installation, the freezing showed up again.

As frustrating as this is, I am hopeful that there's a solution out there for me. If anyone has any suggestions/comments, please let me know. I'm all ears at this point

Edit: I am not overclocking any of the components

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Hi,

I repair laptops / desktop for a living and the symptoms sounds like a bad motherboard.

the loud screeching/crackling comes from the onboard soundcard.

The problem might not be cause by overheating directly. But, in your post, you mention that the laptop shuts down when it overheats: therefore you know that you laptop has overheated in the past.

What temperatures did the CPU reach when testing ?

I see a lot of adolescent watch movies in their beds (clogging the fan) then the laptop shuts down and they go at it again until it doesn't power on anymore. Where overheating damages the lappy overtime.

Anyways, from what you have done so far, I would download hard disk sentinel trial to see if their is a problem with the HD. Since the problems tarted at that point.

whoshuu

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Hi guys,

Thanks for the quick answers. I ran the Hiren's boot CD ---> Disk sentinel to check the HDD and there was no error.

During prime95 testing, the CPU cores would be anywhere from 75C to 85C on full load. My laptop has overheated in the past, but the freezes don't happen when my laptop overheats, so I'm inclined to think that they're separate issues. The freezes can happen when my computer is completely idle.

My set up currently elevates my laptop such that the fan vents aren't blocked, allowing for more air circulation. I haven't had a non-induced overheat shutdown for over a year now.

sigma_22

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Hi,

I'm with the same problem too...and my Clevo P170HM doesn't even have 2 years old.
So far, it freezes only when I'm browsing the web, sending mails, and it's never on its full demand of the processor or RAM...also emits a distorted sound when it happens with music turned on...the only difference is that the freeze is for a couple of seconds then recovers, but it has happened to me that I had to turn it off with power button because it wouldn't recover and stood there frozen...
I've runned tests on RAM memory and disc, nothing out of normal...the processor it seems to heat a lot when playing games, it goes up to 99ºC!!
My fear is that the processor or the graphic card is failing, my card is a Nvidia Quadro 3000M.

Are there tests that can be performed for the graphic card or the processor??
Sorry I can't help you for the moment, if you have any news on this problem please let me know...