laptop graphic card

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
The 630m is better than the 520 (desktop card). Not sure what the significance of the comparison is...

edit: actually, I could be wrong. It's difficult to compare desktop and laptop cards.

edit again: okay, as far as I can tell, they're about the same.

MANOFKRYPTONAK

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
this site says its a discrete gpu not integrated: http://www.laptop-accessories-wholesale.com/blog/hp-probook-4431s-laptop-review/

so yes, but you would have to make sure the power consumption is low enough and the thermal output is low enough too. and the new card has to fit with the heatsink and all. So yes it could be done but you would have to be very tech savvy. Im sure there are posts on how to do this and you can look up newer cards with the same specs, size power heat as your old one. Im not sure that Id tackle this one, but good luck :D

Rragar

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
Yes, you probably want to upgrade the laptop.

When it comes to laptops, even seemingly compatible components won't always work as expected, due to certain issues such as BIOS support.

I know someone attempted to upgrade the Area-51 m17x laptop with GTX 260m cards on SLI. They had to swap the vbios, if I recall correctly. The cards did work, but the cooling fans wouldn't run. They had to settle for a single GTX 260m and a 8600m GT, if I recall properly, because that was the only way the fan for the GTX 260m would work (and permanently at max RPM)

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011

There are better ways to make a fan work,lol.
You just connect the fan's power wire to a small controller. Might take some electrical knowledge but you should have some for that kind of mod anyway. Basically though, a gpu fan is just a fan and can be treated as such.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011

It will almost definitely need more than a gpu swap and isn't worth it unless a) you like modding a lot or b) the laptop series has another model with a better gpu.
That's something I forgot, checking that out might be useful.