Laptop having wifi trouble.

NewbieGeek

Estimable
Oct 11, 2015
So my mom's hp laptop decided to start having wifi issues today... We have a number of devices on the wifi, and hers in the only one that won't connect so it must be local to that computer right? It detects our wifi but won't connect and the troubleshooter can't find anything to fix. It was working fine till just this afternoon.

Possible issues that occur to me:
Virus - I ran malwarebytes, it found nothing.
Drivers - I check for updates for her periodically so I doubt this is the problem.
Hardware issue - Possibly the wifi chip decided to quite on her but this seems unlikely.
ISP's fault - Could this be it?
Other - Please explain.

Thanks!

Mark RM

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
Have you tried resetting the router yet? I've had similar issues where a single device couldn't get an IP because of some firmware issue on the router etc... even though it had been working for months.

Mark RM

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
OK, another potential issue is OS file system corruption. I have no details about your OS or laptop because you didn't provide them; However if you can open an elevated command prompt as Administrator, please run sfc/ scannow .

NewbieGeek

Estimable
Oct 11, 2015
K I ran the command, it found some issues it couldn't resolve. I checked through the log and the errors seemed to occur when it wanted to download something via windows update or something like that...

Also now a couple pcs are afflicted... We have dual band wifi and any device connected to the 2.4ghz band doesn't work. Then do work, however, when I hook up a wifi extender and reconnect them to the 2.4ghz... Even moving the laptop right next to the router it doesn't work, next to the extender, no problem... I'm leaning towards the router needing to be replaced, what do you think?

Mark RM

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
I actually don't think the problem is external to the laptop. I think your next step is to TRY and repair the IP stack using DSIM.

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

If this step fails then your best bet is to reinstall or restore the original windows image...

The question I have is Why your Windows image is corrupt... Almost always with a laptop I suspect a hard drive problem. Running the DISK manufacturers diagnostics is worthwhile.

NewbieGeek

Estimable
Oct 11, 2015
See, the thing is, now all devices on the 2.4ghz band won't work, unless they can also work on the 5ghz. This makes me think it isn't the laptop's fault at all. The hard drive might possibly be having issues but I don't see how that would make all 2.4ghz only devices not work.

Thanks again for the response. :)

TRENDING THREADS