laptop hdd picked up in bios but the OS on it wont boot

The_Freeman

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014
HELLO Internet

I am replacing my hdd in my laptop and it is not booting into the windows OS that is on it but is is picked up in the bios. The HDD is working fine in the other laptop, but not in other one.

i have tried with only 1 stick of ram but that was to no avail.

I Have made sure it is properly placed please HELP!!

Thanks inadvacne

The_freeman

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

Do you have any error messages ?
are they from BIOS such as no bootable device found

or from startup of Windows loading and a BSOD

If the hard drive came from another laptop witha different chipset and especially if a different hard drive controller chip then a BSOD is likely.

There are means of removing the hard drive controller drivers before last shut down on one PC then moving to another PC
(Sysprep, fix hdc, Acronis ....)

Is the Windows Retail or OEM?
as if OEM it will not be able to be re activated on a new motherboard

regards
Mike Barnes

The_Freeman

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014

Nope no error messages just a blinking line on the screen the screen. and also no BSOD. Ill remove the controller shipset and see were it goes from there.

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

If no message from BIOS and no BSOD it may not be the Windows drivers causing the problem

If you power on laptop without a hard drive do you get as far as message from BIOS?

I am assuming SATA 2.5" hard drive
just occasionally chipset or BIOS designed for SATA I or SATA II (150 or 300) has problems with SATA III hard drive.
which can sometimes be fixed with jumper on hard drive.

I have also seen a case where laptop disk mountings designed for 9.5mm or 10mm thick hard drive
cause SATA connectors to not make proper contact when a modern thin hard drive 6mm or 7mm thick is used
(where drive is not in screwed into a tray)

regards
Mike Barnes

The_Freeman

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014

It just comes up with plug in a bootable device and click to restart, and I'm pretty sure its placed in right and connected