Solved! Laptop is slow after factory reset

BeefMcBubby

Estimable
Nov 17, 2014
So I have an HP Pavilion 17 laptop, with an added 4gb of ram (8 total gb), and I hadn't used it in awhile and had a bunch of unneeded stuff on it and I just wanted to clean it out, so I factory reset it. After, everything is just running slower. i could always easily play games like minecraft and terraria smoothly and now they just take awhile to load up and don't run smooth. On minecraft single player, I stay around 15-20 FPS average, and some random times my FPS will jump to 80-100 for a second or two. I have also noticed that my disk is always full, usually by the "system" task, or "service host-local system". It was like this before I factory reset it and I had no issues. Nothing I've tried has fixed it so I left it alone. I also did update all my drivers after the factory reset and it did nothing. I've dedicated more ram to the games as well, and it hasn't helped. Thanks everyone!

Solution
When you reset it, programs you have removed over time are probably back on the computer. And some even set up to auto load when it and/or Windows starts.

I would check the system for programs you don't use. Then go to "Start" and in the search box type "msconfig" (without the quotes). Check the "Boot" and "Start Up" tabs and make sure there is nothing loading that you don't want to be loading. But BE CAREFUL what you mess with. You don't want to turn off or remove anything you actually need. :)
When you reset it, programs you have removed over time are probably back on the computer. And some even set up to auto load when it and/or Windows starts.

I would check the system for programs you don't use. Then go to "Start" and in the search box type "msconfig" (without the quotes). Check the "Boot" and "Start Up" tabs and make sure there is nothing loading that you don't want to be loading. But BE CAREFUL what you mess with. You don't want to turn off or remove anything you actually need. :)

Solution

BeefMcBubby

Estimable
Nov 17, 2014

Well I think I already did something like that (I don't know if it's the same thing), but I went onto task manager, then I went to the start-up, and disabled all of the processes that I don't want automatically running. I have also checked my CPU and it is never full, usually around 20-50%. I should also note that my brother has the exact same laptop and did the same thing as me and has no issues with it.