laptop keeps rebooting

dragoncdf

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
I have had my dell inspiron 15 5000 series laptop almost a year with no problems till recently. i'll be just viewing a website and the mouse freezes the the computer just reboots. sometimes it'll do it a second time. it's also happened when nothing was running just sitting at the desktop. at first i thought it was overheating because the temps were 80-90C but then it crashed while the temp reading was 40.then i thought it might be avast antivirus so i switched to avg but it still crashed. then thought it might be my new wireless mouse so i switched back to wired but it just crashed again. no blue screen except once with a :( checked the minidump folder and the only code i got was 0x124 authenticamd_ processor_bus_prv
computer specs:
amd a10-8700p
12GB RAM
1TB harddrive
windows 10
any idea what might cause this?

Solution

i think i may have...

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017
Usually, every time I've seen this issue -- spontaneous reboot -- it's a driver issue or a hardware issue.

I'd try repairing Windows and checking for the latest updates for all your drivers, Dell likely has a tool to help you do this. Possibly try some hardware diagnostic tools, especially to verify if your RAM checks out.

As far as Avast and AVG go, AVG is now part of Avast and the programs share our back-end detection and features (although you will see some differences in the UI, etc.) I am not aware of any specific issue that would cause this issue, although I would recommend that you use the uninstaller tools that we provide, then perform a clean re-install, to ensure that things are working smoothly!

dragoncdf

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008

i think i may have finally solved it. the only new on the dell site was bios and audio card driver. updated both those and so far (almost a week) no sudden reboots.

Solution