Laptop keeps shutting down by itself and being completely unresponsive for a different lengths of time

ykickamoocow111

Prominent
May 14, 2017
I would really appreciate any help you guys could give me. I own a ACER Aspire E5-511-P214 NBXC0332 which I have had for about 18 months and for the most part the laptop suits my needs but today it has started shutting down with no warning, as in it is on and then off a second later. I thought the laptop was dead (the on/off button did nothing) and was preparing to call Acer to ask about warranty but after a few hours of regularly trying to turn it on it finally came on again, and worked fine for about 30 minutes before going off again randomly. It started working again 5 minutes later but that is where I am at the moment.

Could anyone possibly help with what could be wrong? It isn't overheating, I know that much, and as far as I can tell I am not doing anything specific that causes it to just turn off.

Thanks a lot for your help. Also it has about 18 months left on its warranty as I spent the extra $100 to get the 3 year warranty instead of the 1 year warranty.

Solution
You may want to install some temperature monitoring software and see if anything is overheating. That could cause the problem you are having. And it would explain why it took a while before it would let you turn it back on.

High temps can fry components, so it is important to check it soon.

If the temps turn out to be high, you should try cleaning out the laptop of any dust and debris. This may resolve the problem. If not next would be replacement of the thermal paste and possibly the fan(s) themselves.
You may want to install some temperature monitoring software and see if anything is overheating. That could cause the problem you are having. And it would explain why it took a while before it would let you turn it back on.

High temps can fry components, so it is important to check it soon.

If the temps turn out to be high, you should try cleaning out the laptop of any dust and debris. This may resolve the problem. If not next would be replacement of the thermal paste and possibly the fan(s) themselves.

Solution