Laptop key not depressing properly

ukjoyce

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Hello,
anyone had any problems with keys on a laptop (toshiba satellite) not going down properly? my question mark key is only depressing on one corner so i have to press REALLY hard to get it to work.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I suggest removing the key and then putting it back on. I get that sometimes on my work laptop. While you're at it make sure there's nothing under neath it (aka staple, sticky stuff, etc..).

ukjoyce

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
well i talked to the tech team at toshiba as its still under warranty. They said it was an unusual problem etc etc but if i send it to them they will repair......i would be without it for about 10 days though. They also said that if i messed about with it and it broke, it would not then be covered!! so if i break it .....what do i do then i cant see anything under the key. I dont eat near it or anything anyway. ......
How would i get the key top off if i feel brave? :)

Thanks

ukjoyce

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

Thank you! but how would i remove the key? plus see also my reply on the thread........

Hi :)

I own a lappy repair company in the UK...

Send it back under warranty...not all laptop keys are removeable (not if you want to replace them anyway..lol)

A new keyboard will cost YOU a fortune if you are paying for it, plus you need a Pro to fit it....

Send it back....

All the best Brett :)

aznntowl2

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010

It sounds like you have a broken retainer clip, (the plastic thing under the laptop key) so pull it off with your finger tip, and see if there are broken things under it, the laptop key will unsnap from the clip and you can inspect it, and if its broken, you can buy the laptop key from www.replacementlaptopkeys.com they have laptop key repair kits. That should fix your problem.

rk0r

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Easy to fix - do a search on ebay for a keyboard. I have seen them go for about £10.
The keyboard is only held on by a ribbon and is pretty simple to replace.. :)

Trying to change a single key is very frustrating, esp when they snap under pressure!. I would advise not sending it off to get repaired as this is a 5 min job and is cheap/ easy! do not be scared of it. Hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS