Solved! Laptop keyboard weird problem

Darius_5

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
So I bought second hand windows 10 laptop, Lenovo y50-70, with the following weird problem:

On boot, when asked for user's pin (password), when you try typing numbers, it types symbols (like if SHIFT was pressed)

Now, the guy who sold me the laptop was aware of this, and told me how to fix it: you open on-screen keyboard, and you press SHIFT key 2 times, and problem disappears; you can now type normal numbers, and SHIFT is working properly too.

I tried updating BIOS, uninstalling keyboard driver, to no result; so I decided to give up and leave it as it is.

Then something even weirder happened: I decided I will reinstall windows; and now after the installation is done, windows is stuck forever in this "Just a moment" blue loading screen.

Installing windows again, waiting 6 hours, nothing helped; still stuck in this loading loop...

It's not a fault of installer/image, because the same image worked on different system.

I think it's linked somehow with this keyboard problem - just as the loading screen appeared, I heard sounds that you hear when you press SHIFT several times and "Filter keys" settings open - which might be indicating that SHIFT is pressed by default when keyboard launches..?

How to fix this weirdness??

Solution
It's not a fault of installer/image, because the same image worked on different system.

I think it's linked somehow with this keyboard problem - just as the loading screen appeared, I heard sounds that you hear when you press SHIFT several times and "Filter keys" settings open - which might be indicating that SHIFT is pressed by default when keyboard launches..?

When you say "image" is this an actual image taken from some other computer or did you do a clean Windows setup using Windows media from Microsoft?

For the keyboard issue, re-seat the keyboard connections or try a new keyboard.
It does sound like the keyboard is the issue.

To confirm that, I would suggest you turn off the laptop, connect an external keyboard and then turn the laptop back on. Will it load normally then? If it still doesn't, try disconnecting the attached keyboard and try again.

If it will load when either just the external one is connected, or you remove the attached one and only the external one is connected, then I would say you need to replace the attached keyboard.

Should none of that work, then I would start to wonder about drive and even motherboard issues.

When you say "image" is this an actual image taken from some other computer or did you do a clean Windows setup using Windows media from Microsoft?

For the keyboard issue, re-seat the keyboard connections or try a new keyboard.

Solution