Laptop killing, total power failure

chargeit

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
Hey, I have a Toshiba Satellite L655D that I've had for the last 3 years.

Recently, it started having shutdowns. What happens is it just losses power. No event logs other than saying that it lost power.

I tried pulling the battery and that didn't help.

I noticed that it seems to happen when attempting to go into sleep, or while running screen savers.

I don't believe it's overheating, since I replaced the thermal paste, and cleaned the fan about 6 months ago. It's running cooler than it ran back than.

I've ran a few stability tests.

It passes Prime95, both blend, and FTTs. I was able to do over 30 min with each. Considering I was testing for power issues, I figured that to be enough.

I was able to bench MaxMEM2

I tested memtest86 two times, and both times failed within 7 min, shutdown.

I ran heaven, got some display driver failure reports, and than total power loss.

So, I've narrowed it down to two possibility's. First, which I'm leaning towards is bad memory. This would explain the troubles with sleep, and both memtest, and heaven fails. Yet I was able to bench in MaxMEM2, and pass prime blend.

The 2nd is the on board graphics, however, I fail to see how this would affect the memtest86.

I'm kind of at a loss, if it's the memory, it's not a big deal, I'll just replace it. However, if it has to do with the on board, than that would be a waste of money.

I do know that memtest86 can be affected by things other than memory, and that the heaven fail can be from memory.

So, what do you guys think? Memory, on board, or other?

maxwellmelon

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
do you have more then one memory stick in computer. if so pull one out at a time and see if your problems go away. and it passes mem86 test.

other item would be just to reseat the memory sticks too. mabe ones come loose.

chargeit

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012

I'll check it out. When I cleaned my laptop out, I had to pull the memory. Maybe it isn't in there properly.

Yea, it seems to only do it at times. I mean, I can run the system fine. Maybe it's as simple as that.

I'll check it out, and than run some more stress tests.

chargeit

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
I did a few more things.

reseating the ram didn't work out. It still killed running heaven, though, it didn't fail memtest, I only let it run for 2 hours though.

I let the system sit all night with everything thing that could be stressful on the ram/VRam off. I turned off sleep, screen dim/off, and the screen saver. The system stayed on all night like this.

With some of its issues, like the having troubles going into sleep, troubles with things that use Vram, and slow performance that is unexplained in some things, I'm 90% sure it's bad ram.

I ordered some more this morning.

G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 (1333)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231295

If that doesn't fix it, than I'd say the issue is at the mobo, and not worth fixing. I'll put the ram in my ol'ladys laptop if that is the case.