Solved! Laptop Manufacturers With Great Graphics Cards?

ElectroGoofy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Hey, all!

I am looking to get a laptop in the next month. I have two main requirements: Great Graphics card (along the lines of GTX 460m or ATI 5870), and Sandy Bridge i7 (not COMPLETELY necessary, but could potentially be a deal-breaker).

Anyway, I have been looking around and it seems like there are not many manufacturers that have either of these graphics cards... I am trying to compare the prices of several manufacturers, but have not had a huge amount of luck finding many.

I have seen GTX460m at CyberpowerPC, Alienware (too expensive), and in the Toshiba Qosmio line (again, too expensive).
For the 5870, I have seen it in some Asus Laptops... haven't seen too many with Sandy Bridge, though.

Anyway have suggestions for manufacturers that sell laptops with these pieces of hardware?

EDIT: Ok, I should note that I am looking in the range of $1200 or less... sorry for not mentioning that earlier :)

Solution
1st off, most people wouldn't recognize the names of the majority of laptop "manufacturers". 84 % of the laptops sold today are made by Compal, Quanta, Winston and Inventec. The vast majority of laptops on the market are manufactured by a small handful of Original Design Manufacturers (ODM). Major relationships include:

Quanta sells to (among others) HP/Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu, Acer, NEC, Gateway and Lenovo/IBM
Compal sells to Toshiba, HP/Compaq, Acer, and Dell.
Positivo Informatica sells to Samsung, Sony, Siragon, Toshiba, HP
Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to HP/Compaq, Dell, IBM, NEC, Acer, and Lenovo/IBM.
Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook...
1st off, most people wouldn't recognize the names of the majority of laptop "manufacturers". 84 % of the laptops sold today are made by Compal, Quanta, Winston and Inventec. The vast majority of laptops on the market are manufactured by a small handful of Original Design Manufacturers (ODM). Major relationships include:

Quanta sells to (among others) HP/Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu, Acer, NEC, Gateway and Lenovo/IBM
Compal sells to Toshiba, HP/Compaq, Acer, and Dell.
Positivo Informatica sells to Samsung, Sony, Siragon, Toshiba, HP
Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to HP/Compaq, Dell, IBM, NEC, Acer, and Lenovo/IBM.
Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP/Compaq, NEC, and Dell.
Itautec sells to Siragon, LG, Samsung, Sony
ECS sells to IBM, Fujitsu, and Dell.
Asus sells to Apple (iBook), Sony, and Samsung.
Inventec sells to HP/Compaq, Toshiba, and BenQ.
Lanix sells to Sony, Compaq, Toshiba, Siragon, Itautec
Uniwill sells to Lenovo/IBM and Fujitsu & PC World UK own brand Advent.
Clevo sells to WidowPC, Sager, and other boutique brands.

The Clevo 170HM / Asus G73 (17") and Clevo 150HM / Asus G53 (15") or their variants satisfy your requirements. For more on Clevo, look here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/91510-clevo-guide-v2-0-faq-reseller-info.html

Here's a site with both the Asus and Clevo models listed in a manner for easy comparison.

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=product&filter=4
http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=product&filter=6

Solution

ElectroGoofy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009

Thank you for the post :)

Anyway, when I say "Manufacturers," yes, I do mean like Dell, HP, etc... though they may not actually manufacture them. Probably should say "Brands" or something :)

Anyway, took a look at those laptops... Very nice, but a bit on the expensive side (I edited my post with stating I was looking in the $1200 or less price range... Yea, may be somewhat unrealistic... but did see one that met my requirements for just over $1200 on CyberpowerPC. Am still looking for a lower priced one though.)