Laptop may not be performing according to specs?

LimmyC

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017
Hello, I have recently purchased a new budget laptop for £250. I was not expecting it to be able to play many games at a stable frame rate with high graphical settings, however the laptop has shocked me with how poorly it has played some games.

Examples of average framerates(All played on lowest settings): Guild Wars 2 - 15fps, CSGO - 15fps, Skyrim - 25fps

The specs for the laptop are:

-Win 10 64 bit
- AMD A8-7410 @2.2ghz
- 8GB RAM
- It has integrated Radeon r5 Graphics with 1GB VRAM

My drivers are also up to date. When comparing my specs with minimum requirements for the games listed it meets the requirements, so I am left wondering why it is performing just so badly?

I would greatly appreciate any advice as I am not very technologically knowledgeable.

Many thanks, Liam.

Slow Pri

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
The AMD processors with there integrated graphics aren't as good as having a dual/quad core w/ a dedicated GPU 940M Etc. Etc.

Also if you had more VRAM say 4GB you'd be able to achieve more FPS. CSGO is more CPU/GPU intensive, however you might be able to run it at a really low resolution to achieve 60FPS.

LimmyC

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017

Thanks so much for your response, I really appreciate the help. I am considering returning the laptop and replacing it with this one: http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/refurbished-hp-15.6-amd-a87410-2.2ghz-8gb-1tb-radeon-r5-graphics-windows-1-a1-n7j18ea/version.asp#/maindesc
Will this perform better as it lists having a dedicated GPU?

Thanks again!