Laptop newbie, need help & advice

Red7x

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Hello all! Earlier this month I purchased a laptop and it finally arrived. Since I never owned one before, I am not too confident about what to do, and am asking myself many questions which remain unanswered because of my total lack of experience.
Scenario: the laptop 's on the table, battery not yet inserted. Do I need to charge up the battery and for how long before I can power it on?
Once I can, any tips on what to install, like antivirus, general utility programs and the like? Also, it has two gtx 670m in sli and an i7 3630 if I'm not mistaken. Tips on maintenance/oc/general handling? I hope I'm not asking too much at once.
Please help I am confident I will do some horrible mistake alone!!

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Uhm... If it comes with "bloatware" you can identify, get rid of them first; this includes bundled antivirus programs (like Norton or McAfee, ugh, hate them). If you can and want, do a clean install of Windows if you have a copy given to you from the Manufacturer (not the recovery CD, but the OEM Windows installer CD/DVD). What brand is it, by the way?

Also, for a first time, it's usually advised to drain the battery of the laptop and then fully charge it. Anyway, it should come with instructions regarding this, so try and find them among the pile of paper it must have come with, haha.

After that, install an antivirus; usually free ones are good. Microsoft has a lof of them in their website in case you don't know which one to install (I'm using theirs and it seems to do the job with no issues). Don't install those "I will protect you from everything" kind of antiviruses; they'll just make your life miserable and will do (for the most part) the same job as the free ones. Just don't click or download stuff from untrusted sites and all the usual advice.

Cheers!

Red7x

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012

Thanks for the advice! So basically I can just put the battery in the pc and put my w7 cd inside and that's it?
It's an eurocom scorpius p370em clevo by the way.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Ah, nice notebook.

They usually pack the OEM Windows DVD with the drivers DVD separately, which is excellent IMO.

Now... Before installing, do the battery thingy I told you. Drain it, then remove it and work with the laptop plugged in. After you have everything installed (don't forget the Antivirus), charge it and you're ready for daily use.

Cheers!

Red7x

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012

Uuh... How do I drain it?