Laptop Not Actually Changing Brightness?

Skyler663

Estimable
Nov 23, 2015
To start off, sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

For some reason my laptop will not change the brightness of the screen. The numbers change and go up and down in the brightness meter but the actual screen doesn't get dimmer/brighter. I'm on a Alienware m15x Windows 10. Please help.

Things I have tried: The FN key to change brightness, using the bottom bar to change it, changing power settings, control panel and power options slider for brightness, and going to setting and changing it there. It only slides the slider and doesnt make the screen dimmer.

Drivers are here http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/alienware-m15x/drivers

I have already downloaded the Dell S2230MX Monitor Driver and I know for a fact that the other one isn't for my laptop because it's not a touch screen.

Aother problem is the DVD Drive isnt reading DVD's for some reason but that's a separate problem.

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps suggested by Dell Alienware support site.
- Do a hard reset first, remove the battery and AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds and after the reboot see if the brightness would work or not.
- Next is to do a clean install of the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall NVIDIA graphics.
- Open Program and Features then uninstall anything related to NVIDIA graphics.
- Download and install the latest driver there is.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/download/index.aspx.
- Reboot the laptop after the installation.
- If these steps will not work I would suggest doing a factory reset as the last resort.

Skyler663

Estimable
Nov 23, 2015

I don't have NVIDIA. This had a AMD bui I can still do the same process for that and see if that works. Also I don't have a battery in the laptop because the battery has a 2 min life. I'll try uninstalling all of the AMD stuff from the computer tonight and tell you how it goes.