Laptop not charging?

iddzy

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Is my charging circuit broken? My hp pavillion would only power on without a battery in, plugged into the charger. so I assumed I needed a new battery. After trying a genuine battery it still wouldn't power on on its own, the battery was 80% charged when I booted it up however when removing the charger it turned off instantly. It also said battery not charging 80% when I hovered over the battery icon. Is it fixable ? I've had to borrow a very old machine to use in the meantime and its driving me insane.

Solution
No I meant the actual external charger cord. :) Unless there is something set on your laptop to not let it turn on or stay on when the battery is below a certain amount.

You can check in "Control Panel"... "Power Options"... "Change plan settings"... and then "Change advanced power settings".

The look for any options relating to the battery. :)
It could actually be the charger cord.

I know that seems odd, but if the cord is damaged (and you don't have to see the damage) it will not correctly charge a battery. It may well not even charge it while the laptop is on.

Before jumping into changing the charging circuit, if it can be done on its own on that device, you may well need to replace the whole motherboard in that case. I would really try testing another charger cord on the device and see if it works.

If that is the problem, just replace the cord. If it isn't, then before doing any other work, make sure your device is no longer under warranty. If it is still under warranty, then contact the manufacturer about a repair or replacement.

iddzy

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I was hoping it would be that. But the other genuine hp battery I tried in it was 80% charged and it wouldn't turn on without being plugged in as well. It only works when the charger is plugged in. It can see there's a battery and how much charge it has, it just turns off when the charger is removed which is what I can't understand

No I meant the actual external charger cord. :) Unless there is something set on your laptop to not let it turn on or stay on when the battery is below a certain amount.

You can check in "Control Panel"... "Power Options"... "Change plan settings"... and then "Change advanced power settings".

The look for any options relating to the battery. :)

Solution