Laptop not recognized

J_2357

Prominent
Jun 3, 2017
I bought a dell inspirion n7010, or so I thought it was, but after getting to the desktop, the machine informs me that it is some brand of Gateway machine.
I have never been able to get the drivers to install on the machine since it gives the message that the drivers will not work for the machine.
Is it possible that some other brand of motherboard is installed in the N7010 case ?
If so then, how do I get the correct system information to find the right OS and drivers for the machine?

Solution
If whoever you bought it from changed the motherboard yes it could have another motherboard in it but would be very odd that another motherboard from another vendor will fit the case. Open it up and look at the motherboard. You can find drivers based on that probably or find out what system it should be in. If the motherboard is from a Gateway system, you will need drivers from Gateway not from Dell. Another option is that someone flashed the wrong BIOS to the system, which will change everything even if the motherboard is from that laptop.

You may want to return this thing, especially if the modifications where not listed. Assuming you got it from eBay you can get a return easily if the system is hacked and not represented as...
If whoever you bought it from changed the motherboard yes it could have another motherboard in it but would be very odd that another motherboard from another vendor will fit the case. Open it up and look at the motherboard. You can find drivers based on that probably or find out what system it should be in. If the motherboard is from a Gateway system, you will need drivers from Gateway not from Dell. Another option is that someone flashed the wrong BIOS to the system, which will change everything even if the motherboard is from that laptop.

You may want to return this thing, especially if the modifications where not listed. Assuming you got it from eBay you can get a return easily if the system is hacked and not represented as such in the listing.

Solution