Laptop Not Utilising/Detecting dedicated Graphics

ceejay93

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Hi Guys,

Needed to buy a laptop for uni (already have a full gaming pc), so decided i might aswell get one that can handle some light gaming. So i got myself a HP Pavilion g6-1331ea, Which has the A8 APU but also a Radeon HD 7540 1GB dedicated Graphics card, However it doesn't seem to use this. When first setting the laptop up i noticed that the card wasn't present in device manager and the like but assumed that this was due to the hardware configuration. However i just ran a test using the AMD system monitor and found that whilst playing a game , i can push the APU's built in graphics to 100% and the dedicated still remains on 0% :/

Any Advice welcomed :)

ceejay93

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
EDIT - after completion of all the driver, firmware and bios updates, its detected in device manager but still doesnt activate :/

davec80

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012

Are you sure the dedicated graphics card is *physically* present? It's possible the factory forgot to install it. Or, it might have worked loose in shipping. I don't know how that laptop is assembled, but ...

You might be able to change the graphics card yourself just by removing a few screws and opening a panel on the underside of the laptop. In any case, I would remove all the panels possible on the underside to examine the laptop closely to see if anything is loose or missing...
All laptops have removable panels underneath to use to swap hard drives and RAM chips and other components. I'm betting yours has easy access to the graphics card slot somehow.