Laptop Not Working. Turns On But No Display! Did I Destroy My PC?!

Jul 25, 2018
Laptop: ASUS K56CA (i5 3317u, 4gb ram, 340gb hdd, Windows 7)

When I press the power button, everything turns on except for the display. This happened before and I gave the laptop back to the guy who sold it to me ( we no longer have contact ). He popped in a new RAM stick and suddenly it was up and working again.

Fast forward a year and I decide it is time to upgrade the hdd to an ssd and the ram from 4gb to 8gb. My dumbass bought a different 4gb stick so it wasn't compatible with the one i already had. Still, I installed the new 4GB of RAM and my SSD.

PC turned on and I went into boot priorities so I could install Windows 10. Turns out that with ASUS, I couldn't set boot priority to USB without enabling "Launch PXE OpROM". No problem. So I enable that and then the PC is supposed to restart. I didn't know that it was going to auto restart so I turned off my PC with the power button and turned it back on. Now the PC display will not turn on. Did I fry something by restarting like that!?! I was on power supply instead of battery since my battery is bad.

Notes:

- The display is not bad as my laptop won't display to a monitor/tv
- RAM was the issue last time but this time I'm using a brand new dimm that was working not too long before
- I tried resetting the CMOS by taking out the motherboard battery but that didn't help
- I tried discharging (holding down power button without battery/plug)

Solution
I figured you had tried, but I had to ask.

On the front there are a number of indicator lights. One is for hard drive activity. After you turn on the laptop, do you see the hard drive activity light blinking like crazy?

Also, have you tried to get back to BIOS by holding F2 after turning on the laptop.
Jul 25, 2018

No I did not leave it plugged in during the installation. That is not safe I think.

No beeps at.

anotherdrew

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017

Good ... it's not safe and I don't think you fried it.

I have been reading the manual and it does not really talk about a BIOS reset (other than hitting F2 after hitting power). Pulling the battery is a good idea, but you may not have left it out long enough. Some say 20 seconds ... others say 5 minutes. I say if 20 seconds does not work, try 5 minutes.

Jul 25, 2018

I left it out for 10 minutes :/

anotherdrew

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017
Grumble ... just so I am clear ... you have 2 4GB RAM sticks. You took the older one out and put the newer one in. Your not sure if the newer is compatible with the laptop or is it the newer is not compatible with the older? Do you still have the older RAM stick? What happens if you switch back to the older (assuming you have not tried that)?

Jul 25, 2018

Same result. Screen remains black.

anotherdrew

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017
I figured you had tried, but I had to ask.

On the front there are a number of indicator lights. One is for hard drive activity. After you turn on the laptop, do you see the hard drive activity light blinking like crazy?

Also, have you tried to get back to BIOS by holding F2 after turning on the laptop.

Solution