Question Laptop only detect one of my RAM sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 30, 2020
Good day everyone,

I know this kind of problem seems quite similar and frequently asked, but I'm facing a really strange condition which I can't be able to find any solution throughout the Internet.

I own an old laptop ASUS A450L which came with built-in 4GB RAM. After using for several years I decided to buy an extra 4GB RAM for it.
I'm quite sure the RAM is compatible ( 4GB DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800 ) and it's detected using MemTest86.

But here comes the problem: My laptop can only detect one of the RAM sticks and will forever show only 4GB RAM installed.
At first I thought that my new RAM is not working or something like that, but after checking with MemTest86 surprisingly its working.
The problem is when I did not plug in the new RAM, it detects the built-in 4GB RAM, when I plug in the new one, it detects the new one and ignoring the builtin 4GB

Here are the pictures for better clarification:

When new RAM is not inserted, MemTest86 showed this

No RAM (Sorry due to some problem the picture cannot be inserted)

As you can see from the picture, the RAM info shows something Elpida

And when I insert the new RAM

New RAM

The RAM info shows SK Hynix which is the new RAM I bought

Clearly the new RAM can be detected, but I just simply don't understand why the memory is still only 4GB? Its ignoring my built-in 4GB RAM and only detecting the new RAM.

Please anyone can help? Anyways thanks for reading this thread and hopefully this problem can be solved as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.