laptop only works with battery removed. can it be the cord?

gmoutso

Estimable
Jan 18, 2015
symptoms:
1) the battery cannot be charged when laptop is OFF (charging led goes off after some seconds).
2) laptop does not work when AC cord is conncected but the battery is in place. (it might boot into os and show 0% battery before it turns off due to insufficient batter WHILE the cord is connected!)
3) laptop does work with battery removed and AC cord is of course connected.

I think this is strange. Assume the cord is healthy. I would guess that regardless of whether
a) there is battery charge or not and the battery is in place,
b) the battery is removed alltogether from the laptop or not
c) the battery is faulty but still placed in
then if AC cord is connected to the laptop (and the cord is healthy) the laptop should work by simply taking power from the wall. While powering the laptop, it should try to also charge the battery (if battery is not in or if it is faulty then only that second function would fail). So then it has to be the cord.

Assume the cord is not healthy. The why can it power the laptop when the battery is removed but cannot run the laptop if the battery is in, or cannot charge the battery when off??

Hope someone here has a definite answer. I will measure the AC voltage at an electrician's when I have the chance.

G.

Solution
I was having this same problem with an HP laptop. With the battery inserted, it acted like no AC power was connected and eventually drained the battery. With the battery dead, the unit would no longer power on since it was ignoring the AC. With the battery out, it ran fine on AC. I swapped batteries and that did not fix the problem. Then, I swapped the AC adapter and, with the battery in place, the laptop powered on and the battery charged as expected. So, the problem in my case, was definitely a faulty AC adapter.

wordbuilder

Estimable
Mar 18, 2015
I was having this same problem with an HP laptop. With the battery inserted, it acted like no AC power was connected and eventually drained the battery. With the battery dead, the unit would no longer power on since it was ignoring the AC. With the battery out, it ran fine on AC. I swapped batteries and that did not fix the problem. Then, I swapped the AC adapter and, with the battery in place, the laptop powered on and the battery charged as expected. So, the problem in my case, was definitely a faulty AC adapter.

Solution

gmoutso

Estimable
Jan 18, 2015
Thanks for your answer. It was not the battery (checked by replacing battery) and it was not the cord or AC adapter (checked by replacing the adapter). Whatever it was, I gave the laptop away. Of course: only way to find out whether it is the battery, the cord, or neither, is to test with replacements.. The next owner (a school I donated it to) will have to find the issue if they want it to wrok with a battery (the laptop is working fine when the battery is not inserted - even with replacement cord)