Laptop Opinion: Buy Beefy vs. Upgrade Later

Splic

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Hello everyone.

My question today is one based on opinion, so please let me know what you think.

I plan on purchasing a Dell Insipiron E1505 within the next couple months. My budget it somewhat limited, and that's where this question comes in to play. I'm stuck between two options:

With both options I plan on purchasing the most expensive CPU offered for the notebook, as well as the best (albiet not so great) video card. I can't decide whether I want to go ahead and purchase the 2GB RAM upgrade and the 7,200 RPM HDD upgrade, or if I should simply purchase the cheapest RAM / HDD and upgrade myself in a short while.

I'm perfectly comfortable with all the risks that accompany upgrading my laptop, but I just don't know if I'm just better off getting Dell to do it for me.

The only factors are: if I upgrade myself, I can get the laptop now and upgrade in a month or two... or if I buy upgraded, I'd have to wait a month or two just to get the laptop in the first place.

What do you guys say? There's not much of a price difference, and the physical process of upgrading would be enough fun for me that it wouldn't make any difference... so - do you think it's a good idea?