Laptop Optimization

Scooter92

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Hey gang!

A friend of mine is throwing me his old laptop and I'm not familiar with these wild beasts. I've read a few PC World Articles on them and figured a quick optimization would be 4GB of G.skillz/Corsair RAM timed at 1333(?), a new motherboard (do they make a P55 for laptops?) discrete graphics card, crossfire it with the on-board and maybe like an Athlon X2.

I realize that a P55 is for intel CPUs, I was just posing the question :)

If you guys can just throw me a thread regarding this, have some budget tips, or just wanna flame, feel free to comment!

Love,

Noob.

Solution
If it is for a laptop and fits the motherboard, you should be able to get a gigabit card in it. Generally, the sizes are pretty standards for laptops, but it's hit or miss in regard to the ports and such lining up. I wouldn't recommend throwing dry cleaner on it due to the risk of it messing up the electronics below it. Typically, both integrated and discrete cards are soldered onto the motherboard, but in high end set ups, they can be replaced. Finally, yes, you can only use DDR2 in the current motherboard. If you get a new motherboard, ensure that it takes DDR3 if you want to go that route.
It's pretty hard to upgrade a laptop, save for the hard drive and RAM. The hard drive is an easy install, so long as you get the correct size (most likely 2.5") and interface. For the RAM, if it is an older laptop, it probably takes DDR2, so as high as you can go there would be something like PC2-6400. In regard to the GPU, usually the graphics chips are soldered to the motherboard, so there isn't much you can do there.

But if you get a new motherboard, ensure that it fits and lines up with the ports as best as possible. I'm not going to lie, it'll be pretty hard to find such a motherboard.

Scooter92

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Thank you! Aye, I figure it would be a challenge, but I'm willing to tussle with this lap top because it's fun! Are their standard sizes for mobos or is it just kind of a hit or miss?

Could a throw a gigabit network card in there? I'm almost positive this puppy has a 10/100 mb/s ethernet port in it.

Here it is: http://rubbermallet.org/PICT0054.JPG.

It's a Sony Vaio PCG-7N2L

Scooter92

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Ah, I have more questions! There was soda spilled in the keyboard, now I know with my keyboard I just throw some dry cleaner in it and let it sit for a day and clean. Can you do that with a lap top? Guessing not? Also, is the onboard GPU soldered in or is a discrete one that is soldered in? One last question, if the computer hosts DDR2 right now, does that mean that the bus those modules are in can ONLY have DDR2? Or can I just replace them for some DDR3. To my knowledge, it was the latter.

If it is for a laptop and fits the motherboard, you should be able to get a gigabit card in it. Generally, the sizes are pretty standards for laptops, but it's hit or miss in regard to the ports and such lining up. I wouldn't recommend throwing dry cleaner on it due to the risk of it messing up the electronics below it. Typically, both integrated and discrete cards are soldered onto the motherboard, but in high end set ups, they can be replaced. Finally, yes, you can only use DDR2 in the current motherboard. If you get a new motherboard, ensure that it takes DDR3 if you want to go that route.

Solution