Laptop or desktop

fyott

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
Hi, I have a Toshiba i5 laptop 15" screen that recently has something wrong with it. I turn it on and it takes 20 to 30 minutes to load icons and also icons pined to task bar. After everything is loaded, if I click on my chrome browser, nothing happens, so I dry to double click on the desktop icon, nothing, except the timer that just sits there. I managed to get into the area where you can refresh or completely wipe out the hard drive, but it asks for a disk, which I don't have. I've debated if I should call Toshiba's tech support but being hard of hearing mixed with their accent = a bad convo. I'm feeling I should just buy a new one. It is 4 yrs old. My laptop before that was an hour and the monitor went on that one, so I hooked it up to a separate monitor and that worked for about a month, until the screen went completely black on that one too. (The HP was also 4 yrs old. So I'm convinced these laptops are only good for 4 yrs. SO, now I want a new computer. I would love an i7 with a 17" screen so I can see it better, but I know it would cost a lot bc I also want HD, SSD, I want a fast computer with a lot of RAM and storage. SO, I'm debating between a desktop computer or a laptop with these features and want to know the best brand for both and also which would be cheapest to buy. I know with a desktop I would have to buy a monitor and keyboard. I have a gaming mouse. I don't do much gaming anymore...pretty much just 35% now. But would a desktop last longer than a laptop? Also, on the laptop, if that's what I end up getting, I want the keys to light up so I can see them in the dark, a number pad, and a DVD drive. I do have an external DVD drive but it's a pain in the ass. Is it better to not have the DVD drive in the laptop? I'm sorry, I have a million questions. Thanks for ANY input on my post.

Solution
If you don't need the portability of a laptop and have the space for a desktop system, you will get a lot more powerful system for the same price in a desktop.

spinningstill

Estimable
Jan 15, 2018
Clean everything off your desktop. Delete all anti software. Use Firefox. Unfortunately, I don't think Toshiba makes consumer laptops anymore so you would be quite challenged putting a SSD in it.

Samsung, Dell, and HP make good laptops. Of course I also recommend a MBP. Don't really need a DVD anymore unless you plan to watch movies.

leoscott

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
If you don't need the portability of a laptop and have the space for a desktop system, you will get a lot more powerful system for the same price in a desktop.

Solution